Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Maintenance/Detailing (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/maintenance-detailing/)
-   -   How often do you rotate your tires? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/maintenance-detailing/8866-how-often-do-you-rotate-your-tires.html)

Kanab 02-24-2005 09:57 AM

How often do you rotate your tires?

Just wondering what mileage you rotate and do you rebalance everytime you rotate them? How is the wear, based on your rotatation/balancing routine?

I did a search and can't believe no one has asked this question before on this site. Maybe it's because the 4runner is real easy on tires???

sharp4runr 02-24-2005 10:26 AM

I make sure the dealer rotates them at my 5k services, but I've never asked them to do a rebalance or taken it somewhere to rebalance. The car doesn't shake or anything, so I didn't give it much thought.

Kanab 02-24-2005 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sharp4runr
I make sure the dealer rotates them at my 5k services, but I've never asked them to do a rebalance or taken it somewhere to rebalance. The car doesn't shake or anything, so I didn't give it much thought.
How many miles you got on it now without a rebalance? How are the tires wearing? Even?

HuntRunner 02-24-2005 10:50 AM

I rotate every 5K, I have never rebalanced. Tires have worn good.....I have 31K miles on them and will probably get another 7K - 10K before I replace them.

Pupwa 02-24-2005 11:10 AM

That's funny you should be asking this question, I have been thinking about this for the last few weeks.The "Passport To Preformance" recomends 5000 mile intrvials. At 4200 miles and 6 plus months of use my ride is great. Tire wear looking good and I am planning to rotate and balance around 5000 when I do the next oil change. I am going for the high end of use on these Michelins. Just want to see how many miles I can get.

Kanab 02-24-2005 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pupwa
That's funny you should be asking this question, I have been thinking about this for the last few weeks.The "Passport To Preformance" recomends 5000 mile intrvials. At 4200 miles and 6 plus months of use my ride is great. Tire wear looking good and I am planning to rotate and balance around 5000 when I do the next oil change. I am going for the high end of use on these Michilans. Just want to see how many miles I can get.
I'm like you, got the Michelins and want to make them last. That's why I'm looking for the sweet spot based on experience for rotation and balancing. I now have 17K on my 4runner. They were rotated at 1K miles (mistake by the dealer) then again at 6K miles and then again at 13K miles, with real good even wear (still look new). No rebalancing so far.

Hitman 02-24-2005 11:56 AM

Rotating and balancing the tires really have nothing to do with each other....

If your tires were properly balanced in the first place, and assuming that you never lose a wheel weight, then the tires should remain perfectly balanced for their entire life.

In other words, tires don't lose their balance for no reason.... something has to happen, like throwing a wheel weight or damaging the tire.

I usually rotate my own tires every 4 thousand miles (same as my oil change interval)

Kanab 02-24-2005 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hitman
Rotating and balancing the tires really have nothing to do with each other....

If your tires were properly balanced in the first place, and assuming that you never lose a wheel weight, then the tires should remain perfectly balanced for their entire life.

In other words, tires don't lose their balance for no reason.... something has to happen, like throwing a wheel weight or damaging the tire.

I usually rotate my own tires every 4 thousand miles (same as my oil change interval)

I did not realize that. I thought that the weights would vibrate out of position and then you would have to have them rebalanced. I guess I won't rebalance until they start to do this http://www.toyo.com.au/tech_info9p1.html

Hitman 02-24-2005 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull
I did not realize that. I thought that the weights would vibrate out of position and then you would have to have them rebalanced. I guess I won't rebalance until they start to do this http://www.toyo.com.au/tech_info9p1.html
If your tires have irregular wear, you probably need an alignment... not a tire balance. Sometimes under or over inflation can also cause irregular wear, especially if its on the center of the tread (overinflation) or on both outside edges (underinflation).

The best bet is to rotate your tires regularly and keep them properly inflated.

Kanab 02-24-2005 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hitman
If your tires have irregular wear, you probably need an alignment... not a tire balance. Sometimes under or over inflation can also cause irregular wear, especially if its on the center of the tread (overinflation) or on both outside edges (underinflation).

The best bet is to rotate your tires regularly and keep them properly inflated.

I've found that all the Toyota's I've owned had better tire wear then other brands. Think it is because of the suspension system being engineered better? I had 80K miles on some BFG AT/KO's on my 95 Landcruiser and they still had over 50% of the thread and wore evenly.

EDGE 02-24-2005 02:20 PM

Maybe it's overkill or the fact that my previous Nissans ate through tires like a fat kid licking the cream off an oreo but I rotated every 2000 miles

I've since changed that with the 4Runner, can't speak for the V6 guys who leave their trucks in 2HI but after some reading I found that the AWD system with the traction control really keeps the tire wear even, so much so that I let the Dunlops go to 5500 miles before I decided to rotate them (that was a 1st) they are wearing even, shocks me how even they are, I know the Audi's with the Quattro AWD rotate their tires every 15-20k and I think someone on yotatech mentioned after he rotated at 15k the tires still looked excellent.

My neighbor had a 2nd Gen 4Runner and a 3rd Gen now, he never rotates and gets crazy mileage out of his tires, I really think Toyota knows how to evenly balance the weight and align these things properly.

My ES300 I still rotate every 2000 miles but because it's FWD and it has performance tires on it but I might extend the rotation to every 4000 miles cause the tires don't seem to be wearing, remember the Nissans haunted me with tire wear.

Now I've never had my wheels rebalanced, 1 you don't need to unless you loose a weight and you pick up a vibration or shimmy and 2 the only thing it does is destroy the lip on the rim cause the techs beat the hell out of the wheels to get weights on and off, my 4Runner needed an alignment at 8000 miles, my dumbass took it to toyota thinking they would do a perfect job, got the truck back with 4 scratched rims, minor but it pissed me off, lession learned that next time skip the free work and pay 40 bucks to the guys who know and respect me and baby my rig, I've never had a damaged rim until my 4Runner and thanks to Toyota all 4 are equally damaged.

My Nissans ate through tires, their problem was they could not correctly align a car which was an obvious flaw but Nissan never had the balls to step forward and make a fix, my x-gf 350z was never driven hard except for me and the front tires had the same issues as my 96 Pathfinder, my 00 Pathfinder seemed to be fixed but then a 2000 Maxima I had destroyed tires, seemed it was either or with Nissan, they all had tire problems:)

sharp4runr 02-24-2005 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull
How many miles you got on it now without a rebalance? How are the tires wearing? Even?
Looks like other people have covered it already, but I have about 14500 miles (due for an oil change and rotation soon). I haven't had a rebalance yet. Tires are wearing very evenly though I have to say the Dunlops have very short tread. I've seen the Revos and they have very DEEP channels.

Thai 02-24-2005 03:50 PM

Every 6000 miles...because that's when i change my oil.

EDGE 02-24-2005 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Thai
Are you 1 of those people who change their oil inbetween the dealer changes:arrow:

Thai 02-24-2005 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Thai
Yup...and based on my observation of their general competence, i may just skip it all together and do it on my own. It is so sad.:(