Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Mg clt clutch relay location to fix ac (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/91748-mg-clt-clutch-relay-location-fix-ac.html)

dripdry 06-15-2011 05:52 PM

Mg clt clutch relay location to fix ac

Hoping someone can help....I was told this was located behind the glove box. I tore out the glove box and do not see a relay that just pops out. I only see different connectors with wires going to them. I always thought a relay could be just pulled out and replaced? My air conditioning commpressor does not kick on anymore and I am hoping I can replace this relay to fix the problem. Any help would be appreciated!!

YotaZach85 06-15-2011 05:55 PM

You probably need a re-charge, there's a low pressure sensor that won't allow the compressor to kick on when the system is low on refrigerant. The relay should be in the fuse box under the hood but I don't believe that is your problem.

justhammerit 06-10-2020 03:43 PM

IM having the same issue with mine. I bought a relay from autozone but cant find where it goes for the life of me. It's no a/c relay port on the fuse box under the hood or in passenger compartment. Im lost. Any help would be appreciated!

brillo_76 06-10-2020 04:15 PM

Guys.. 95% of the time the relays are fine. These rigs are 18 plus years old. The condensers develop leaks, compressors seals go and leak the refrigerant out. If the system is low or out of refrigerant. The safety switches will open and the compressor will not kick on.

brillo_76 06-10-2020 04:21 PM

Trying to troubleshoot AC

justhammerit 06-14-2020 03:47 PM

Normally, I would attribute this to a leak like some of you guys stated. But the ac was ice cold then went straight hot. And I have no sign of oil/freon anywhere under the hood. And it still may be a leak, but wanted to try the $17 fix before I give the ac guy a lot more $$$. Still cant find where this relay goes.

Bad Luck 06-15-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justhammerit (Post 3504200)
Normally, I would attribute this to a leak like some of you guys stated. But the ac was ice cold then went straight hot. And I have no sign of oil/freon anywhere under the hood. And it still may be a leak, but wanted to try the $17 fix before I give the ac guy a lot more $$$. Still cant find where this relay goes.

What year is your 4Runner? Do you have manual or automatic (digital display) climate controls?

brillo_76 06-15-2020 11:23 AM

The magnetic clutch can fail and thus instantly your AC pump will not work..

Possible your high or low pressure safety switches fail and not engaging the magnetic clutch on the compressor.

Relay possible but very rare.

All this takes is a small rock to pinhole your condenser and all your freon gone and you may not see it.

Snap a set of gauges on to verify you have correct pressure in the system as it rules that out. :)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

justhammerit 06-15-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3504552)
What year is your 4Runner? Do you have manual or automatic (digital display) climate controls?

Its a 2002 with manual climate control (dial knob)

justhammerit 06-15-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3504574)
The magnetic clutch can fail and thus instantly your AC pump will not work..

Possible your high or low pressure safety switches fail and not engaging the magnetic clutch on the compressor.

Relay possible but very rare.

All this takes is a small rock to pinhole your condenser and all your freon gone and you may not see it.

Snap a set of gauges on to verify you have correct pressure in the system as it rules that out. :)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Will a pressure gauge read accurately without the compressor turning? I'm fairly competent shade tree mechanic but the ac stuff is out of my wheel house.

Bad Luck 06-15-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justhammerit (Post 3504743)
Thanks for the info. Will a pressure gauge read accurately without the compressor turning? I'm fairly competent shade tree mechanic but the ac stuff is out of my wheel house.

I don't think there is a relay for your ac. I'm basing this off a 2000 wiring diagram for a manual ac.

Hooking a set of gauges to it even without the compressor working will let you know if you have enough refrigerant for the pressure switches to complete the circuit. You should have between 75-100 psi on both sides depending on ambient temp.

TheDurk 06-17-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justhammerit (Post 3504743)

When in doubt, RTFM. If gas is too low for compressor to run, you will see low and equal pressure on both sides. I think low pressure switch kicks in about 25psi.

http://www.teamtoyota4x4.org/archivi...c/acsy/ovi.pdf

There us indeed no A/C relay in the manual A/C system, That function is handled by the A/C Amplifier, which is Toyota speak for the ECM for the A/C system, which is not a $17 part and rarely goes bad. You can return that relay.

http://www.teamtoyota4x4.org/archivi...i/057acman.pdf

Syndragy 04-18-2023 02:44 AM

Is it too late to revive this thread? Manual AC system, 2001

I can’t figure this out. Basically getting no a/c or recirculating power to the control unit (No lights at all from those two buttons.)

Jumped pressure switch like suggested, but no changes. Clutch does not engage

I pulled a relay from a 1997 to swap in, but turns out I don’t have one.

I’ll try to get my hands on some pressure gauges to test high and low.
4Runner.com ?01 A/C - YouTube

More context can be found at '01 A/C does not kick on at all (including green light) | Toyota 4Runner Forum [4Runners.com]

brillo_76 04-18-2023 08:14 AM

Possible bad pressure switches or no refrigerate. Magnetic clutch is either on or off and you can supply battery voltage to it to enable it...:)

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk

Syndragy 04-18-2023 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3793285)
Possible bad pressure switches or no refrigerate. Magnetic clutch is either on or off and you can supply battery voltage to it to enable it...:)

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk

Since I jumped the pressure switch, doesn’t that bypass the safety measure, or would it still not kick on if I had low refrigerant?

Seems like the next steps are to try recharging Freon and testing clutch