Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Bike rack rails for factory roof rack? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/94771-bike-rack-rails-factory-roof-rack.html)

Jimi900 08-01-2011 10:27 AM

Bike rack rails for factory roof rack?

Hi all,

Im planning a vacation and we are going to be talking out bikes. I would like to find a bike rack for the roof of my '02 SR5, but I was wondering if anyone know of a brand of bike rack rails that would mount to the factory roof rack?

Jim

Martinjmpr 08-01-2011 11:33 AM

Not sure if this is what you want but if you have the factory tracks you can mount the Yakima "Landing pads" and then put the rack on with the "control towers" and standard Yakima bars. Nice thing about this is that you can remove the rack cleanly in just a few seconds and the only thing left are the landing pads (which have little snap-on covers.)

I found a set of Landing Pads on CL for $15. I then paid $80 for a set of Control Towers that also included the landing pads for a different vehicle (I'll just CL them, too.)

Gerdo 08-01-2011 06:04 PM

Personally I would never use the factory cross bars to strap anything to the roof. The ends are plastic and I have seen plenty break.

I definitely would never trust the rack with my bikes, I like them too much.

Utilizing the stock rails, Yakama sells a system that slides on. They are strong.

liv2bike 08-01-2011 06:40 PM

I just racked my 01 Sport using my factory roof rail tracks. Go with the Yakima landing pads and control towers. I used 48" round Yakima load bars with 4 Yakima Viper fork mount trays. I can carry 4 bikes on the roof. To accommodate 4 bikes you will have to mount the trays opposing one another. When I carry mtn bikes I then have to use Hurricane fork-ups so that all the handlebars will clear the rear wheel of the bike next to it. Go to the Yakima website and build the rack to get all the part numbers. Then go to the Hurricane components site and check out the fork-ups. Scour ebay and CL for the parts. You will save some $! Just curious...where y'all planning to ride?

good luck and :welcome:

OU4x4 08-02-2011 03:44 PM

rocky mounts make racks that will mount to our crossbars
i've had plenty of stuff strapped to the bars with no problems so far.

Jimi900 08-02-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OU4x4 (Post 834934)

So do you know which rails you are using for bikes?

thanks,

Jim

Gerdo 08-02-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OU4x4 (Post 834934)

Rocky Mounts makes great stuff but...
I still wouldn't trust the stock crossbars with $6000+ worth of bikes up there.

OU4x4 08-02-2011 05:15 PM

i'm not sure i would trust $6000 in bikes on top of any car no matter what mounts you use.

rocky mounts noose works for my mt bike.
they also have a newer version, tierod, more aerodynamic i guess.