Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   How do you remove the roof racks? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/98161-how-do-you-remove-roof-racks.html)

dannyg 09-19-2011 06:49 PM

How do you remove the roof racks?

Can anyone tell me how to remove the roof racks on a limited? i'm trading mine for a set of black ones.
I read one post i found, but there was not a good enough explanation.

It says to remove the cross bars first, how?
and then how do you remove the covers properly to expose the bolts?
Pics would be a plus.

Thanks

cabowally 09-19-2011 07:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
see attached...

dannyg 09-19-2011 08:11 PM

Thank you, that helps but i'm having a hard time poping the covers off. whats the best way to do this? i already damaged some of the plastic from trying...

BlackWorksInc 09-19-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyg (Post 868897)
Thank you, that helps but i'm having a hard time poping the covers off. whats the best way to do this? i already damaged some of the plastic from trying...

LoL you'd think I'd have a trick for it.. but we don't ever take the damned things off at the dealership. I tried to do mine and now the passenger front cover has a lil chunk that cracked off. Would love to know a trick if you guys have one.

Jeff4runner 09-19-2011 08:34 PM

Let it sit in the sun for a few hours to get a little softer and more maleable. Then, take a flathead screwdriver, and gently pry where the attachment points are (use the diagram to see where it is). Theres no real trick, just being patient, and gently work it off. Then again, I only did this to take them off to repaint, and clean up the whole rack.

dannyg 09-19-2011 10:18 PM

phew, finally got the covers off. I popped the outside 2 clips off first using a flathead, pretty easy. then i shoved the flathead in/underneath the cover to the other side to somewaht push the other 2 clips off while pulling up fairly hard. they all popped off pretty easy using this method and i only damaged the one slightly from my first attempts. just use some force, i dont think the clips are going to break too easily.

dannyg 09-19-2011 10:24 PM

That being said, what is the best product to use to apply to the threads of the bolts when i put the racks back on? just look for a silicone thread adhesive?

DexTech 09-19-2011 11:13 PM

what I use to remove anything plastic is a set of four bicycle tire levers, just lever it slowly and evenly all the way around.

Don't have these particular levers, but this is essentially what I'm talking about:
Amazon.com: Pedro's Tire Lever: Sports & Outdoors

cabowally 09-19-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyg (Post 869021)
phew, finally got the covers off. I popped the outside 2 clips off first using a flathead, pretty easy. then i shoved the flathead in/underneath the cover to the other side to somewaht push the other 2 clips off while pulling up fairly hard. they all popped off pretty easy using this method and i only damaged the one slightly from my first attempts. just use some force, i dont think the clips are going to break too easily.

Would be a big help to everyone else if you posted a couple of pics of the underside of the cover that shows how the clips works, ie. type of hook, direction and what the slots on the roof look like....

Keep in mind: Every time you figure something out, there are a zillion of others that haven't had to deal with it yet.

They will come here looking for the information you now have. They will look and ponder this thread with great desire, only to be teased into it because.....

...You didn't give back!

You asked for help, you got it. Now show us what you have learned so that the next time, I or anyone else, needs to have the info you have can search "roof rack" removal. We all then have a complete thread to see what the deal is. :)

Detailing your experience pays it forward.

The roof rack god wants you to share what you can.

got it?

tx.

webby 09-20-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyg (Post 868832)
Can anyone tell me how to remove the roof racks on a limited? i'm trading mine for a set of black ones.
I read one post i found, but there was not a good enough explanation.

It says to remove the cross bars first, how?
and then how do you remove the covers properly to expose the bolts?
Pics would be a plus.

Thanks

Here is how you remove the SR5 Roof Rack, and I am thinking that the Limited rack is the same design as the SR5 rack.

Re the crossbars, if you look at the back corner of each side, on the inside, there is custom sized rubber plug. Pull those plugs out the back of each side piece (they sit in the track that the crossbars slide in). Now you can loosen the crossbars, one at a time, and slide them out the back end of the roof rack.

Re the plastic covers on each of the 4 corners, I figured out how to get them off without damaging them. The trick is knowing how the 4 tiny clips on each cover hold them on there, so that you can release them without damaging the cover. To remove them, you need a slender right angle tool such as pictured below. The tip you use is the 90 degree tip in the bottom right of the pic.

As someone said, leave the truck in the sun for awhile or a heated garage, whatever, so that the plastic covers will flex easier without damage.

Slide the tip of the pick tool under one side of the plastic cover, say about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way in from one end. Now turn the pick tool 1/4 turn so that you know the end of the pick is pointed straight up. Pull out (horizontally) gently on the pick tool, which will stretch the plastic cover outward just a bit, releasing the clip at the base. Now do the same procedure, 1/4 to 1/3 of the way in from the opposite end of the plastic cover, releasing that clip. Now with one whole side of the plastic cover released, if you push up and in on the plastic cover, the back clips will now release themselves.

Et voila -- the cover comes off without damage. I sold my SR5 rack, so sorry, I can't provide any pics of the inside of the plastic covers, or the procedure. Now the two bolts at each corner of the rack are exposed and it is obvious how to unbolt the rack from the roof.

http://s3.postimage.org/652zdsa5j/Picks.jpg

Folsom4Rnr 06-30-2016 01:07 AM

Old thread, but really happy to find info on this. Thanks all

Folsom4Rnr 10-03-2016 04:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cabowally (Post 869086)
Would be a big help to everyone else if you posted a couple of pics of the underside of the cover that shows how the clips works, ie. type of hook, direction and what the slots on the roof look like....

Keep in mind: Every time you figure something out, there are a zillion of others that haven't had to deal with it yet.

They will come here looking for the information you now have. They will look and ponder this thread with great desire, only to be teased into it because.....

...You didn't give back!

You asked for help, you got it. Now show us what you have learned so that the next time, I or anyone else, needs to have the info you have can search "roof rack" removal. We all then have a complete thread to see what the deal is. :)

Detailing your experience pays it forward.

The roof rack god wants you to share what you can.

got it?

tx.

Know its an old thread, but in case anyone runs across it from a search like I did, I thought I'd add a few pictures. Hope it helps.
Cheers