Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 08:32 PM

backlitcoyote is on a distinguished road

backlitcoyote is on a distinguished road
Thank you, >>>>.

It should be obvious, but I did not make it clear in my initial post (because I was confused), that there are three grease fittings (Zerks) per drive shaft, and that my two photos at the top of this thread only show the three on the rear drive shaft. There are three more on the front drive shaft, which goes from the front diff to the transfer case.

So the six Zerks are as follows:

- Where the front drive shaft meets the front diff, there is a Zerk for the spider, requiring regular lithium grease.

- Where the front drive shaft meets the transfer case, there is a Zerk for the spider (lithium grease) and a Zerk for the slip yoke (requiring lithium grease that contains molybdenum disulphide).

- Where the rear drive shaft meets the transfer case, there is a Zerk for the spider (lithium) and a Zerk for the slip yoke (moly).

- Where the rear drive shaft meets the rear diff, there is a Zerk for the spider (lithium).

This is a car that I would not want to entrust to any kind of "quick lube" place. To position the rear drive shaft for access to the Zerks you have to either raise the rear wheels off the ground with the car in neutral and turn the rear wheels, or roll the car in neutral until the drive shaft is in the right position (the front drive shaft turns freely as long as 4WD is not engaged).

Perhaps it's a bit cynical of me but I think very few lube shops would bother to do all that. Nor would I trust them to use moly on the slip yokes. If I were not servicing it myself I'd only give it to a trusted mechanic in a small shop where I knew the person who would be doing the work.
backlitcoyote is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote