Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 06:35 PM

Luciendar21 is on a distinguished road

Luciendar21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
20 isn't excessive when there are, as of right now, 101,997 members.

Of that 101,997 members 90,202 members have 20 or less posts. So over 90% of the members here have less than 21 posts. You still really think that having 20 post limit is excessive?

20 posts does not take a lot of effort, it cuts down on worthless new threads, and gets you active in a community.
Yes, I really think a 20 post limit is excessive. I'm not saying the concept is unfounded, but the standard post limit is 10, in some places as low as 5.

Even if you could justify the post limit being high in comparison to these other places, it still needs to at least be documented. You'll have prospective members (like myself) posting in other people's threads and trying to get their post count up, only to get to 10 and find they still cannot post. I literally gave up at that point and only came back months later when lo-and-behold... my 4Runner had another issue.

Saying "Just post on old threads with the same issue" isn't good advice either. In many communities, posting on old, dated threads is actually against the rules. Raising a thread from the dead (Necroing) a thread is serious faux pas in quite a lot of places. As someone who is very well versed in online community etiquette, it is far from intuitive that this would be considered "good form".

For transparency: I'm a senior level admin on one of the largest forums in the world and that's been my job for 6 going on 7 years. I also have worked extensively with hundreds, possibly thousands of communities.