Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 12:23 PM

JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future

JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future
Sonoran Steel offers a pair of brackets that allow you to adapt an 01-04 TRD Tacoma swaybar to the 4Runner. Steve claims that the primary benefit is that the TRD bar uses a short, double-balljoint link that allows more flexibility at the extreme ends of suspension travel. I liked the idea so I went for it. This isn't a comprehensive writeup -- just a few details.

The TRD bar came on certain models of the 01-04 Tacomas, including some 4x4 and PreRunners. The connections at the ends are flipped 90* from the 4Runner style ones. The TRD bar is 27mm thick whereas the 4Runner bar is 26mm. Doesn't sound like much, but it's a 15% increase in stiffness. The TRD bar bolts up to the factory frame locations no problem.

Parts needed:
- TRD swaybar
- New bushing brackets (they are different than the factory 4Runner ones)
- New bushings (27mm required -- Energy Suspension has them)
- Endlinks
- Sonoran Steel brackets

(I suppose you could also find a pair of LCAs from one of these Tacomas just use that directly!)

My strategy was to weld with the LCAs still installed in the truck. This allowed me to make sure things were aligned and it was less labor that pulling the LCAs out. The welding angles were a bit tricky but the friend that did the welding didn't have much trouble.

I trimmed the bracket from Sonoran somewhat to provide more clearance to the CV boot. Wasn't necessary, just made me feel better. Prepped the areas for welding.

I bolted the new bar on, installed endlinks, and placed the tabs in the correct location. Tacked, removed the links, and then burned them in. After a couple of hours of leisurely welding:

Painted the brackets, bolted things up, and we're ready to go.

How do you like my painting job? I tried to apply grey primer and then black paint with a BRUSH and they kind of mixed... sort of like suspension tie-dye.

Heres a look at one of the new bushings and brackets:

So far it is working just fine. I can feel that the on-road handling is a tad stiffer, but the change is positive. I haven't had a chance to do any offroad stuff with it yet but I want to get an idea of how it looks when the suspension is at max up and down travel.

Overall a cool mini-mod -- not too expensive, not too complicated, and all OEM ;)
JZiggy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote