Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 04:13 PM

mo_mo has a spectacular aura about mo_mo has a spectacular aura about

mo_mo has a spectacular aura about mo_mo has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm-v35 View Post
Considering building a drawer system the same height as the rear fenders with modular sections to make it a sleeping platform when the back seats are removed. I was wondering how comfortable it actually is and if there's enough room to move around etc?

I do have a full size RTT and I am considering building the drawer portion either way for more efficient packing/storage, but I was wondering if the sleeping platform is worth it for solo trips to make things quicker when not needing a full size tent?

I see some threads of people building and showing them, but no actual reviews I can find of comfort or having enough headroom.

Opinions/reviews would be appreciated. Thanks!
Check sig for photos of my drawer-less setup. I don't leave it in and use it modularly as needed. No drawers, so I can pull out bins or other stuff and move them around the campsite as needed. I tend to try to keep weight to a minimum and low CG so an RTT isn't attractive to me. I prefer sleeping in a tent on the ground, but I have spent a couple of nights on the platform. It's a hair over the wheel well height but not by much (close to even with the outside of the wheel well and slightly over the inside)... can always make it shorter with a little cutting. At 6' I can not sit up. I use a thin pad and a sleeping bag, so no 4" mattress in the car. If you don't have too much gear (aka you're solo), then leaving a half space for sleeping one of the rear seats intact would be optimal for access, sitting up, reading, etc, kind of like this guy: Camping in the Cold at Hole-in-the-Ground - And getting stuck in the Ochoco National Forest - YouTube
Demello Hybrid Bolt On Sliders | Toyo Open Country AT III LT285/70R17 C | Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro Stage 2 | Durobumps | Rago Molle Panels | Leather steering wheel cover | RCI Full Skids (Aluminum) | Drawer less drawer system and sleeping platform. | TRD CAI | RAV4 Sideview Mirrors: 87961-42D20 & 87931-42D50 | Blackvue DR650S-2CH | Cobra 75 WX ST with 4’ Firestik + Magnet Roof Top Mount | MXT275 Midland GMRS radio | 3M Crystalline: Front CR70, A-B CR50, B-Aft CR40 | RRW Leather Seat Covers w/Besond Seat Heaters| 3DMax Floor Mats and Rear Husky Liner | former LT265/70R17 C Duratracs
mo_mo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote