View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 10:30 PM

mo_mo has a spectacular aura about mo_mo has a spectacular aura about

mo_mo has a spectacular aura about mo_mo has a spectacular aura about
Seat Heater Install:
So a few years ago I removed the cloth and threw on some 'leather'. See signature for details. During that process I installed 'besond seat heaters'. They are similar to 'rostra' and the switch looks 'OEM' (scroll dial like the dimmer switch). The switch has an amber/orange light to tell you that it is on, and the 'heating' gauge glows green (vs. stock blue). Install in the OEM spot on the center console near the rear window switch. The instructions were lacking and while similar to the rostra, they weren't 100% clear on power needs etc.

Concerned about the power needs, and not being in a cold environment at the time, I never got around to hooking the system up electrically, and just installed the pads.

Long story short, I finally got around to fidgeting with the electrical and got it all hooked up.

They claim they pull 27 +/-3 watts per pad (1 seat pad, 1 back pad, multiplied by 2 seats . At 14.4 Volts that's roughly 8.3 amp draw (10 amp at 12 Volts).

The power leads for each had a 20 amp fuse, and the ignition on switch was wired with a 5 amp (that's a total of 50 amps going by the fuses). The 'night light' wire had no fuse.

I measured the amp draw using an amp clamp and combined the seats on high pulled a total of 8 amps.

So I hooked that bad boy right up to the "S/HTR FR" interior fuse box which has a 20 amp fuse in it and is already relayed to ignition on. Threw in an 'add a circuit' fuse tap with a 20 amp fuse to power and ignition signal the seats, and we're good to go.

I then threw on another 'add a circuit' fuse tap with a 5 amp (could probably be a 2 amp or lower) for the 'night light' function on the 'TAIL' interior fuse box.

Works like a champ.
Demello Hybrid Bolt On Sliders | Toyo Open Country AT III LT285/70R17 C | Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro Stage 2 | Durobumps | Rago Molle Panels | Leather steering wheel cover | RCI Full Skids (Aluminum) | Drawer less drawer system and sleeping platform. | TRD CAI | RAV4 Sideview Mirrors: 87961-42D20 & 87931-42D50 | Blackvue DR650S-2CH | Cobra 75 WX ST with 4í Firestik + Magnet Roof Top Mount | MXT275 Midland GMRS radio | 3M Crystalline: Front CR70, A-B CR50, B-Aft CR40 | RRW Leather Seat Covers w/Besond Seat Heaters| 3DMax Floor Mats and Rear Husky Liner | former LT265/70R17 C Duratracs
mo_mo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote