Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 11:54 PM

RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about

RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about RodrickHeffley has a spectacular aura about
While I'm waiting for the tremendous amounts of snow we have here in Utah to melt so me and @javob can throw on my lift, I got around to another mod of mine that I have wanted more and more ever since winter started.

The Taco whip mod!
My antenna used to function flawlessly, but after I got it back from the repair shop (and I have since realized I should have just done it all myself, Doh.) it started acting up and got to the point this winter where it would get stuck and not go up/down all the way.

Our local pick n pulls typically NEVER get Tacomas so you'd bet when I saw a 2003 Tacoma pop up I pounced on the opportunity.
It was nice as I also got the front fender flares off a 4runner to paint and throw on, and a few other things from it for my buddy.

Unfortunately, the Tacoma was in a severe front end collision on the passenger side, and I could not get the fender off to remove the antenna assembly. This was okay as I knew of one other option from PhoRunner on YouTube: Tacoma Whip Antenna Mod (Cheap DIY) - 3rd Gen Toyota 4runner - YouTube
So I ended up grabbing only the antenna (and the hazard switch, who knows when a switch can come in handy).

This version of the mod takes a portion of your stock moving antenna and a small nut from Lowe's with a few other tools and adapts it into using a stock toyota antenna thread pattern.

You can watch the whole video for a more indepth tutorial, but I'll give you the rundown.

1. Remove the nut and plastic from the antenna assembly
2. Turn on the antenna so it runs up out of its channel
3. Remove antenna from 4runner (I had to chop off the nub at the top of the antenna to take it off)
4. Remove the portion of tubing that is shown in the video (I had to cut apart the stock antenna with a dremel)
5. Sand down the nut and fix it into place with adhesive of your choice (I used Loctite Super Glue)
6. Drill out the nut with a 5/32 bit then tap with the m5/.8 tap to fit the antenna
7. Disconnect the antenna motor wire (you have to move the fender lining out of the way)
8. Slide on the nut and plastic back onto the antenna assembly
9. Insert your new and modified antenna into the slot
10. Bask in the glory of your new and nonmoving antenna!

Here's some pictures to give you some reference:

This is what the assembly looks like after the nut, plastic and antenna have been removed

Modified antenna with the nut and drilled out to the correct size

Finished!

Very happy with this one, plus I won't have to worry anymore about breaking it while off roading this summer in the mountains.
I was dreading this going into it because of how difficult it seemed from the outside, but it's actually really simple if you just follow the instructions.

Things You Need:

nut
Lowe's

m5 / 0.8 tap

5/32 drill bit

superglue/jb weld

something to cut metal with

sandpaper
Build Thread
----------------

Last edited by RodrickHeffley; 11-09-2023 at 12:49 PM.
RodrickHeffley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote