Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-22-2023, 06:12 AM

Diodress is on a distinguished road

Diodress is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper238 View Post
I think people have more of an issue with spying or overly tracking children. Nothing wrong with giving kids tools limited/appropriate for them individually. But you better know your kid, what may be inappropriate for some may not be for others. Don't underestimate kids intelligence, or should I say ingenuity because it will backfire if you choose to overly spy/control/limit.

I believe in "Trust but verify" and "If you don't ask you don't get". Open communication and mutual respect with kids at any age is more important than control. Help kids make good decisions, don't completely control/limit them.

My son could have purchased grand theft auto without me knowing, but his respect for me (GTA was also not rated for his age) he asked for permission rather than loose my trust and mutual respect if he didn't (or an ass whooping).

Both my kids have now since moved out in there early 20's and bought there own houses before hitting 30. Now I am a Grandpa with a new life to help build a foundation that makes good decisions.
Perhaps I have low authority with my child, or I missed the point where I was supposed to create a thread of trust between us, but he does not listen to me if I forbid him to look at certain material on the Internet or to play games that are not appropriate for his age. Because of this, I had to put parental controls in place to keep him away from content that could damage or corrupt his psyche.
Diodress is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote