Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 07-29-2023, 02:12 PM

chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough

chrisbagnell will become famous soon enough
The Head Gasket Chronicles Return to Directory

I made a separate thread for discussing my headgasket issues which can be found here: Stealership just quoted me $7,000 for headgasket on 2004.

I went to my local Toyota dealership after 4 Blackstone Oil change reports stating there was traces of coolant in the oil. I told them I did this and suspected a headgasket leak and they took the car in. Got a call later that

"guy told me cylinder 4 is leaking and its a very expensive job. They would have to pull the motor out of the vehicle... and used a lot of terms to make it sound sophisticated "we will have to take it down to the heads which is EXTREMELY difficult etc"... Also told me I am at extreme risk driving it because of how bad it is..."

I said okay, I will pick it up tomorrow. He seemed shocked because I did not want to pay ~$8,400 for a headgasket job. Took the car home and searched around to find 3 shops in the area willing to take it on so I took it to a shop and told them what the dealership told me as well as my findings. They had the truck for a few days and called back to tell me they could not find anything leading to a headgasket failure, however my radiator had a leak in it. So ~$1500 later, got my car back and its been running great ever since.

I have no clue if the oil is still showing traces of coolant because I stopped sending the samples out and quite frankly, I think its best if I don't know. The car is running fantastic.

More Updates coming soon!

Just got a coverlay to hide cracked dashboard and having some fitment issues. New Headlight lenses as well.
Also need to do yearly Rust Prevention (POR-15 / Fluid film) frame work. It held up very well this year living on the beach.

Bonus Pictures: Went to a small Toyota Meetup with the 4runner and Mk2 Supra
chrisbagnell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote