Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   New fine-grained VSC OFF Mod for V6 1GR (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/88882-new-fine-grained-vsc-off-mod-v6-1gr.html)

Kliv 05-04-2011 02:36 AM

New fine-grained VSC OFF Mod for V6 1GR

2 Attachment(s)
For these of you who do not really want to surf through the whole thread:
Link to install instructions:
Install Instructions_4.3 - Google Docs
Shopping list for FJ-like install: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/997844-post120.html
New units look like"New fine-grained VSC OFF Mod for V6 1GR - Page 28 - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum:
Attachment 320315

And here is the story how it is started...

There was a time… when V8 Runner owners made VSC OFF mode with simple buying FJ Cruiser Trac Off button like VSC Off, ATRAC On Mod complete!
There was a time… when V6 Runner’06 owners archly shared with us off-road experience with Trac Off and explained benefits over center diff lock.
There was a time… when V6 Runner’04 owners made Trac Off mode, but center diff lock lamp made confusion. :(
Those days are gone!!! :thumb3:

We made small box 35X30X10mm with 10 wires adopted to work with 03-07 V6 4WD 4Runner!!! It connects to FJ like Trac off button (or any button with no locking), VSC ECU cable and combination metter. It has 5V red LED for activity indication.
As the result we got:
- Ability to switch off Traction control with no center diff locking. It does not affect ABS or A-Trac. There is no confusing lamp about center diff lock lightening as well !!!!
- Block does not affect other systems. It switches off with power off and with center diff locking.
- It is small and can be easily installed. All you need is a button and an hour of your precious time.

I tested it on my V6 4R’04. It works perfect! Originally I planned it for personal use, but, if you are interested in the mod we can discuss it :naughty:

Some pictures below (I quit smoking, just found a pack to compare with :) )...

Kliv 05-04-2011 02:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
FJ Button and the LED below it.

Kliv 05-04-2011 02:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Combination meter with VSC off block working.

Kliv 05-04-2011 02:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The tester :)

lexmedic157 05-04-2011 10:34 AM

sub'd!

chaz 05-04-2011 11:02 AM

how's it wired in?

Kliv 05-04-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaz (Post 774227)
how's it wired in?

It is based on the mod I linked above. The only difference is that it manages center diff lock lamp plus several useful options like switching off with ignition off or after center diff locking, do nothing when VSC is off already, etc..

Installation takes about half an hour - hour. There are 4 wires to connect behind cobination metter, 1 to VCS ECU under steering column, 1 to center diff lock button, 1 to trac off button, ground point and LED. As for other Trac off button wires (lightening & ground) - I took them from center diff lock button.

I can compile installation guide if there is demand...
Or provide you with video how the mod operates..

lexmedic157 05-04-2011 02:07 PM

All of the above! Are you planning on selling such an item?

Kliv 05-04-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexmedic157 (Post 774360)
All of the above! Are you planning on selling such an item?

As I said, we made it for own use. There are several guys interested here in Russia. I thought that it might be interested for you guys as well. If so - we can build it and sell.
You might think that I am cheeting you or you might think that the block is useless... please advise what can make you believe me in this case:)

rdrunner 05-04-2011 04:25 PM

Very interested, I'd buy it. Probably the best way to market it here and have people believe it would be to give one to one of the senior trusted members to try out and report back on it.

lexmedic157 05-04-2011 04:51 PM

Yeah that's what I'd suggest. Post up detailed install instructions for us to look over.

00328 05-04-2011 07:08 PM

Why would you need the small LED, the indicators in the dash tell you if it's on or not?

Kliv 05-04-2011 11:34 PM

2 lexmedic157, rdrunner: It sounds good. Who would like to test it then?
2 00328: Just to make sure does the block work or not. It costed nothing but gave valuable information for testing. You might not install it.

Will compile install instructions later on and will share with you.

rdrunner 05-05-2011 06:45 AM

I would love to but I'm certainly not a senior member here. First one that comes to mind actually is CJ3Flyr since he's already done so much testing on this mod.

Doozi 05-05-2011 07:50 PM

I'm definitely interested in this... nice work! I posted a while ago that people were getting close to perfecting the "VSC-OFF" mod and it looks like we have it! I was getting ready to do the current mod, but didn't like the idea of crazy warning lights. I agree, CJ3Flyr would be the ideal tester... if he's up for it!

Nice job Kliv!

~Doozi

Kliv 05-06-2011 07:15 AM

So, I prepared device description and compiled install instructions. Unfortunately, I was unable to attach it here as pdf too big (350K). If you do not mind I post it as the link to google doc.
Sorry in advance if there are spelling mistakes :).
Feel free to comment if something is unclear with the instructions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doozi (Post 775379)
Nice job Kliv!
~Doozi

Thanks a lot! It is a pleasure to hear that! :thanks:

Kliv 05-13-2011 02:49 AM

It seems that CJ3Flyr is busy a little bit. I tried to contact him privately, but got no response as well.
So, the mod cost is 60$ + shipping. It includes the block and LED. Install instructions could be found above.

I am ready to ship first two items without prepayment. If those blocks worked fine I would expect payment via paypal. If something wrong with them and you are not happy with the mod - simply ship it back. All your looses would be few dollars for shipping in this case.

Volunteers? :)

00328 05-13-2011 03:02 PM

Just out of curiousity, what are you guys paying for gas around Moscow?

Kliv 05-13-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00328 (Post 780895)
Just out of curiousity, what are you guys paying for gas around Moscow?

25 Rub. A little bit less that a dollar.
I guess it means that the mod too expensive, huh?

rdrunner 05-13-2011 06:29 PM

How much is shipping to America? 04105

Kliv 05-14-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdrunner (Post 780993)
How much is shipping to America? 04105

According to on-line EMS Russian post calculator it is about 3-5$. The block weights nothing, so, it is cheap.

rdrunner 05-14-2011 02:55 PM

Judging from the limited response maybe the price is a little high. Hard to say. I'd be interested in biying one but don't know when I'd get to installing it. Might take me a while to have the time so I wouldn't want people waiting for me to give them a review. You could also post on Toyota 120 forum as some there might be interested as well. I may buy one to try out anyway as I could really use it.

chaz 05-14-2011 03:08 PM

i think alot would like to have this but the average person may not be too keen on or have enough confidence to splice all those wires into the factory stuff.

00328 05-14-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaz (Post 781407)
i think alot would like to have this but the average person may not be too keen on or have enough confidence to splice all those wires into the factory stuff.

Yeah, it does look somewhat involved. I'm not interested as I already did the mod and only spliced one wire. Doesn't bother me that the center diff light lights up when I hit the switch, I know it's not locked.

rdrunner 05-14-2011 07:10 PM

Sorry if you've mentioned it but I didn't see it... how does this work with 2wd? Can you just turn it on in 2wd and have it work or do you need to switch to 4wd first then on then 2wd like the original mod?

Kliv 05-16-2011 03:19 AM

2 chaz: Valid point. The only thing I would like to note that if you succeeded with VSC ECU wire connection under steering column in original mod, you would definitely succeed with other connections.

2 00328: I agree that you as a driver always know what is the state of center diff and might ignore the light on dash. As for me, if there is a way to avoid misleading info - I'd rather do that.

2 rdrunner: To be honest, I've never thought about 2wd with the mod. Personally, I can see no usage for it in our terrain. Anyway, It will work exactly like the original.
Thank you for advice with Toyota 120 forum... Wanted to register there long time ago but had no need.

From my point of view the price is reasonable. It will hardly fall.

AlexJet 05-16-2011 07:47 AM

Interesting solution.
Still looking for a tester? You can send one to me...

Kliv 05-16-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexJet (Post 782350)
Interesting solution.
Still looking for a tester? You can send one to me...

Cool! We have first volunteer! Thank you for cooperation! :)
Please send your contacts privately and I'll get back to you with shipping number.

We need few days to build new block and ship it to you.

rdrunner 05-16-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kliv (Post 78231)
To be honest, I've never thought about 2wd with the mod. Personally, I can see no usage for it in our terrain. Anyway, It will work exactly like the original.

Too bad. For me being able to quickly disable it in 2wd would be very nice. For instance pulling out on a busy street from gravel when your back wheels hit the street the inside wheel slips a bit and vsc kicks in. Now your pulling into traffic at a virtual crawl.

Kliv 05-16-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdrunner (Post 782375)
For instance pulling out on a busy street from gravel when your back wheels hit the street the inside wheel slips a bit and vsc kicks in. Now your pulling into traffic at a virtual crawl.

It makes sense... Will think about the way to hack ECU for 2wd...

Kliv 05-31-2011 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally, I installed my body lift and had time to check this mod. I was surprised when discovered that it works perfect in 2wd mode. You do not need to switch it to 4wd and 2wd back to make it work. :banana:

rdrunner 05-31-2011 03:04 PM

Sweet so you just hit the with and go when in 2wd? If so I definitely will do this.

Kliv 06-01-2011 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdrunner (Post 793129)
Sweet so you just hit the with and go when in 2wd? If so I definitely will do this.

Exactly. Hit and go in 2wd.

rdrunner 06-04-2011 09:04 PM

Sounds perfect! Send me payment info, I'm in.

Doozi 06-05-2011 12:18 AM

So, people buying this will need to acquire the "VSC-off" button, right? Anyone have a decent source?

Thanks!

Kliv 06-06-2011 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doozi (Post 796536)
So, people buying this will need to acquire the "VSC-off" button, right?

Right. We might include the button in a pack, but it will not be cost efficient. You can buy it in US much cheaper ...

jbtaco2002 06-14-2011 10:56 PM

will this work with V8 4x4 4runners as well? thanks

L.C. 06-14-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kliv (Post 782353)
Cool! We have first volunteer! Thank you for cooperation! :)
Please send your contacts privately and I'll get back to you with shipping number.

We need few days to build new block and ship it to you.

I will gladly be the #2 tester if nobody else has stepped up to the plate. I have done a few reviews on other products before, including one on this site for a XenonDepot HID kit that I can link for reference.

I've been looking into this mod for a while and it looks like you have a very complete solution. I agree with you also as far as not having additional lights show that are not necessary or incorrect (the center diff lock light showing locked when it is actually not.)

Just let me know and I would be happy to install and write a detailed review. I have an '03 Limited V8 4WD, for reference to check compatibility.

-LC

Kliv 06-18-2011 03:16 AM

I thought that V8 owners have ECU with ability to switch off VSC... All you need is to buy a button and install it if you do not have it already.
If not, this mod will definitely work as wiring routine is the same (with small exceptions). I will double check it for V8'2003.

The only item is shipped to rdrunner for now.

L.C. 06-22-2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kliv (Post 805381)
I thought that V8 owners have ECU with ability to switch off VSC... All you need is to buy a button and install it if you do not have it already.
If not, this mod will definitely work as wiring routine is the same (with small exceptions). I will double check it for V8'2003.

The only item is shipped to rdrunner for now.

As far as I understood there were still some 'loose ends' not accounted for, the wires for the switch are present but once wired in you would also see the diff lock light even though the diff was in fact still open. I could be wrong though.

That would be great if you could double check and see if it would be compatible, I will do a little more research into the mod as well.

Also for reference, here is a link to the HID kit review I did for Steve at XenonDepot:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/access...tml#post677779

And another review I did (on another forum) for Marco at Billet Engineering & Sean at OS Giken on their TS2B clutch:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/service...lots-pics.html