Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   6th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/6th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   If the 6th Gen was Built in Mexico… (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/6th-gen-t4rs/299780-if-6th-gen-built-mexico….html)

RichinRidgewood 08-21-2021 07:22 AM

If the 6th Gen was Built in Mexico…

If the 5th Gen was built in Mexico:

1) there would be different suppliers or factories (with less overly oppressive environmental restrictions) for the parts
2) the windshield would hopefully come from someplace that knew how to make windshields instead of the current suppler/factory and would hopefully be much less fragile
3) the paint would come from another suppler, additional colors would be offered, like the Highlander has, and it wouldn’t fall off in the wind or get scratched by sneezing on it. Hope fully it would be much better than the interior latex like crap they are using now.
4) delivery fee would be reduced
5) time between order and delivery would be reduced

thennen 08-21-2021 08:05 AM

6) Overall build quality would be signifcantly poorer, meaning...
7) Frequency and cost of repairs would increase over the life of the vehicle.

Ripper238 08-21-2021 11:14 AM

No One would buy it.

/end

Blackwatch 08-21-2021 10:50 PM

Looks like the tacos are all being built in Mexico starting in the '22 MY. I doubt there will be a reduction in the price. "David", the YouTube Automotive Press guy says the 6th gen will still be built in Tahara. I wonder how the 2.4L turbo will hold up compared to the 4.0 L...

Tironeous 08-24-2021 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripper238 (Post 3666204)

No One would buy it.

/end

For real. All 4Runners have been built in Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sundy 08-24-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3666167)
If the 5th Gen was built in Mexico:

1) there would be different suppliers or factories (with less overly oppressive environmental restrictions) for the parts
2) the windshield would hopefully come from someplace that knew how to make windshields instead of the current suppler/factory and would hopefully be much less fragile
3) the paint would come from another suppler, additional colors would be offered, like the Highlander has, and it wouldn’t fall off in the wind or get scratched by sneezing on it. Hope fully it would be much better than the interior latex like crap they are using now.
4) delivery fee would be reduced
5) time between order and delivery would be reduced

1. This likely wouldn't change a lot, as the US will likely have restrictions on the environmental impacts for imported products, at the rate we are going.
2. The manufacturer isn't the issue - it's the angle of the windshield. You'll only fix this with a new design/profile of the vehicle.
3. Paint - see #1. It won't happen due to environmental issues. All new cars have issues with sh**y paint these days.
4. No it wouldn't, they would just pocket more.
5. Maybe, but who's buying a Mexico made 4Runner vs. a Japan made 4R. That's part of the appeal IMO. I'll just get a Bronco then :shrug:

5thToy 08-24-2021 06:44 PM

I doubt many buyers other than the few enthusiasts like us on this site will be aware of or care where their 4Runner is built.

BorotHex 08-24-2021 07:06 PM

Only companies with poor engineering and industrial design are affected by the location of assembly in terms of QC. Toyota will most likely be fine. I like that 5th gen is made in Japan, but only because I’m a Japanese watch freak and like things from there.

RichinRidgewood 09-10-2021 09:49 AM

Bump
Well it looks like the 4 Runner will be made in Mexico

RichinRidgewood 09-10-2021 09:51 AM

If the Mexico production is true then maybe the they will have better windshields, paint etc.

Best speculation of a 2023 6th generation I have seen

osideplayer 09-14-2021 04:48 PM

As a proud Mexican and of owner of 3 4runners, if the 4runner is made in Mexico. I would not buy it, end of story.

BorotHex 09-14-2021 05:39 PM

Build location doesn’t have anything to do with quality. It’s in the engineering of parts; how they are designed and how they fit together. If you trust Toyota, don’t worry about Mexico. My 4Runner made in Japan rattles inside and out. That’s credited to poor engineering, not where it’s built.

TexasFunRunner 09-14-2021 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BorotHex (Post 3672612)
Build location doesn’t have anything to do with quality. It’s in the engineering of parts; how they are designed and how they fit together. If you trust Toyota, don’t worry about Mexico. My 4Runner made in Japan rattles inside and out. That’s credited to poor engineering, not where it’s built.

Please explain more, what year, did you buy new, when did it start, can you tell what or where it's coming from?

Blackwatch 09-16-2021 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annolino122 (Post 3673243)
Even though I know where/when the new 4Runner is going to be built the location doesn't matter. Toyota Quality standard is global, the only difference between Japan and the US is the grade metal they use. We actually see better accuracy out of our mexico plant than the US one because it's built with a slower cycle time. But that's all changing.

To reiderrate, those of you who think location of the Toyota matter are VERY wrong. We have japanese vendors for US equipment, we have japanese advisors for US equipment, all our our engineering memos, standards and how we engineer our vehicles are based in a global standard.

I had a 2018 Q5 made in Mexico and the quality issues were very evident. Maybe Audi cheaped out on the engineering as well as the labour but it had issues.

The main objection I have is the ethical one. These companies are moving production to Mexico to line their pockets while exploiting the Mexicans. The Audi I bought went up in price slightly when production moved to Mexico even though Audi did not pay the Mexicans what they were paying the Germans, nor did the Mexicans enjoy anywhere near the quality of life as the Germans. If Toyota moves the 4Runner production to Mexico it will increase the price of the vehicle while saving thousands on each one built in the form of cheaper labour and transportation costs.

Blackwatch 09-16-2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annolino122 (Post 3673248)
No sir

Looks like the 4Runner will be built in the US? warmer?