Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Obd2 bluetooth scanners (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/289020-obd2-bluetooth-scanners.html)

firebirdguy 08-07-2020 11:00 AM

Obd2 bluetooth scanners

im looking to buy one of the cheaper OBD2 scanners for android phones & will use the torque app.

what is the best one for under $20 that will read all the sensors including the trans temps? i see all kinds of them on ebay & amazon, just curious what others have used & the best value one to buy. wont be used all the time, just occasional checking of sensors or codes.

y=mx+b 08-07-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebirdguy (Post 3528969)
im looking to buy one of the cheaper OBD2 scanners for android phones & will use the torque app.

what is the best one for under $20 that will read all the sensors including the trans temps? i see all kinds of them on ebay & amazon, just curious what others have used & the best value one to buy. wont be used all the time, just occasional checking of sensors or codes.

I have the Bafx Products - Wireless Bluetooth OBD2 scanner from amazon, around $25. When I was researching, this one seemed to be the go-to when it came to torque pro. There were even instructions on using it with torque pro in the box.

Amazon.com: Bafx Products - Wireless Bluetooth OBD2 / OBDII Diagnostic Car Scanner & Reader Tool for Android Devices - Read/Clear Your Check Engine Light & Much More: Automotive

LOSTR4 08-07-2020 02:07 PM

I have the same thing and it works fast and easy...I'm also using the app Torque along with Car Scan for my Tundra...Car Scan can toggle off the seat belt chime and change some features with climate controls in my Tundra but those cannot be "unlocked" unless you buy the app for $3.99...regardless, I use the same OBDII scanner and in the 4runner, I can use Torque or my Scangauge...the sky is the limit!

firebirdguy 08-07-2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y=mx+b (Post 3528984)
I have the Bafx Products - Wireless Bluetooth OBD2 scanner from amazon, around $25. When I was researching, this one seemed to be the go-to when it came to torque pro. There were even instructions on using it with torque pro in the box.

Amazon.com: Bafx Products - Wireless Bluetooth OBD2 / OBDII Diagnostic Car Scanner & Reader Tool for Android Devices - Read/Clear Your Check Engine Light & Much More: Automotive

thanks for the link. does that one read trans temps too? some info i found said some dont work on all the sensors.

xtremewlr 08-07-2020 07:36 PM

Bluetooth Adapters - Torque OBD2 Wiki

y=mx+b 08-07-2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebirdguy (Post 3529138)
thanks for the link. does that one read trans temps too? some info i found said some dont work on all the sensors.

Yes, it worked for me. I used these codes here:
Torque App - working formula for tranny temp

This was also posted on the second page of that thread with slightly different numbers, but I believe I took a deeper look and this was just simplified numbers in the formula
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/1760494-post22.html

firebirdguy 09-19-2020 11:34 AM

i bought one of the BAFX OBD readers linked above, found them quite a bit cheaper on ebay from a BAFX authorized seller. so far i only have the torque lite version but seems to work great with it.

does the pro version have oil psi by any chance, i dont see it on the lite version & sure would be nice to see actual oil psi since all we have is a dummy light. can anyone confirm if torque pro has oil psi or another OBD reader app that has it?

y=mx+b 09-19-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebirdguy (Post 3545959)
i bought one of the BAFX OBD readers linked above, found them quite a bit cheaper on ebay from a BAFX authorized seller. so far i only have the torque lite version but seems to works great with it.

does the pro version have oil psi by any chance, i dont see it on the lite version & sure would be nice to see actual oil psi since all we have is a dummy light. can anyone confirm if torque pro has oil psi or another OBD reader app that has it?

It doesn't have oil temp, but I think it may have oil pressure. I'll try and get out to check it this evening

y=mx+b 09-19-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebirdguy (Post 3545959)
i bought one of the BAFX OBD readers linked above, found them quite a bit cheaper on ebay from a BAFX authorized seller. so far i only have the torque lite version but seems to work great with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by y=mx+b (Post 3546083)
It doesn't have oil temp, but I think it may have oil pressure. I'll try and get out to check it this evening

I went out and checked, I didn't see an option for Oil pressure. I checked alphabetically for Oil Pressure, Engine Oil Pressure, then read down the whole list just to make sure. I'm surprised oil pressure isn't an option, since that's a fairly common sensor to measure. Maybe there is a custom PID for this, just like the trans temp readings are added.

Oil temperature is an option, but out computers must not be able to output to the reader, since it always reads 0

firebirdguy 09-20-2020 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y=mx+b (Post 3546120)
I went out and checked, I didn't see an option for Oil pressure. I checked alphabetically for Oil Pressure, Engine Oil Pressure, then read down the whole list just to make sure. I'm surprised oil pressure isn't an option, since that's a fairly common sensor to measure. Maybe there is a custom PID for this, just like the trans temp readings are added.

Oil temperature is an option, but out computers must not be able to output to the reader, since it always reads 0

thanks for checking, i was hoping the pro version would have it since the lite version does not. i agree oil psi is a very common sensor & you'd think they would include it if theres a sensor for it in our 4runners.

please let me know if you find any PID codes for it or if anyone else using another app reader knows it has oil PSI.

AUSig 09-20-2020 06:02 PM

I had the BAFX for a while but I kept accidentally kicking it and it eventually broke. Are there any that are lower profile?

y=mx+b 09-20-2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUSig (Post 3546313)
I had the BAFX for a while but I kept accidentally kicking it and it eventually broke. Are there any that are lower profile?

I recently kicked mine while trying to set the parking brake. I was thinking about getting a right angle obdII splitter or extension and attaching it to the inside of the plastic with velcro or something

AUSig 09-20-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y=mx+b (Post 3546327)
I recently kicked mine while trying to set the parking brake. I was thinking about getting a right angle obdII splitter or extension and attaching it to the inside of the plastic with velcro or something

Yup, I use parking brake out of habit every time i park, eventually it broke. Didn't know extensions were a thing, I guess I'm buying another and moving it up out of the way.