Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   I’m pretty sure it’s dead Jim. Rear drivers lower link mount broke off frame. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/290097-i-m-pretty-sure-s-dead-jim-rear-drivers-lower-link-mount-broke-off-frame.html)

19963.4lsr5 09-10-2020 07:46 AM

I’m pretty sure it’s dead Jim. Rear drivers lower link mount broke off frame.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...db737f98c3.jpg

This really sucks. Just got it how I want it. I’m sure this is fatal and non repairable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegipper 09-10-2020 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3542574)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...db737f98c3.jpg

This really sucks. Just got it how I want it. I’m sure this is fatal and non repairable

Looks fixable to me. Why wouldn't you be able to fix it?

spartacus 09-10-2020 09:10 AM

Frame swap'time.

JWaldz 09-10-2020 09:16 AM

It's gonna take some fabrication but it's repairable. You'll likely end up having to cut more of the frame out so whoever repairs it has good steel to weld to. If you weld to rusting metal, it'll just fail again. This will also likely result in having to replace the body mount bracket as well, which by the looks of it wouldn't hurt to be replaced. What's the rest of the frame/area look like?

19963.4lsr5 09-10-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWaldz (Post 3542602)
It's gonna take some fabrication but it's repairable. You'll likely end up having to cut more of the frame out so whoever repairs it has good steel to weld to. If you weld to rusting metal, it'll just fail again. This will also likely result in having to replace the body mount bracket as well, which by the looks of it wouldn't hurt to be replaced. What's the rest of the frame/area look like?

That’s my worry. It’s got 281,000 miles on it and this failure was pure stealth. Rusting from the inside out. I’m Leary on how good the rest of it is.

Where it broke away from the frame should be clean metal not rust like it’s been cracked for awhile.

I need to figure out who to talk to to see if it can be fixed.

Devbot 09-10-2020 09:55 PM

Any welder worth their salt can fix a basic frame crack - small cracks/splits are NOT the end of the world. Watch any video of someone fixing a barn find and they typically gotta touch up multiple parts of the frame. As said it's gonna need a little metal fab to ensure you have something to zap onto, but it's not like it's twisted or corroded beyond belief. If you're curious if any other spots are weak, smack around hard with a hammer - if you make a hole, it's shot. Redneck way of testing integrity but it's fool proof, somewhat.
PA is in the salt belt, yeah? Might be worth it to do a good inspection

clearock 09-10-2020 10:20 PM

In my exp when to see/find this type of rust damage it's not isolated and even if u fix ur current issue more will arise, U can not weld rust... anything can b fixed $ but is it worth the cost.

jross20 09-10-2020 11:47 PM

Welding time, then I'd work on painting the frame :)

19963.4lsr5 09-11-2020 11:03 AM

I’m pretty sure it’s dead Jim. Rear drivers lower link mount broke off frame.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...8d58b1a4ec.jpg
A member suggested this for the repair. And I can weld mig and TIG and stick. I have a millermatic 130.

WeakSauz 09-11-2020 11:10 AM

Not the end of the world. Fix it if you like the 4runner

brillo_76 09-11-2020 11:18 AM

That kit will work. I just build my own. :) You can fix this and that's didnt come off bad. :)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

19963.4lsr5 09-11-2020 12:14 PM

I’ll need to drop the tank and axle and maybe the running board. I expect problems with the running board and gas tank.

brillo_76 09-11-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3543000)
I’ll need to drop the tank and axle and maybe the running board. I expect problems with the running board and gas tank.

I never pulled the axle for welding. Would probably make it easier to repair. Running board and tank bolts will pita. Most running board bolts wont come out and snap along with a few tank bolts too. Watch bringing the tank down. As the plugs need unplugged from under the back seat plate. Careful not to catch any emmision houses. Being yours is not a 2001 or 2002 you have alot less hoses to deal with.

I mostly pull the tank return line as use my fuel pump to empty the tank. While you have that down. Check it all over with the filler tubes for issues.

That inner rail next to the tank will most likely be rusted out.

Devbot 09-11-2020 07:45 PM

If you're anal like most I'd recommend a 220 welder, I used a Lincoln 120 at my house for my panhard correction brackets and it was unnecessarily shitty. Still got proper penetration, barely, but MAN does it look sloppy
Just my 2 cents

brillo_76 09-11-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devbot (Post 3543158)
If you're anal like most I'd recommend a 220 welder, I used a Lincoln 120 at my house for my panhard correction brackets and it was unnecessarily shitty. Still got proper penetration, barely, but MAN does it look sloppy
Just my 2 cents

Extremely good advice. Its alot harder to weld 1/8 plate with 120volt welder. Yes you can do it. However, its alot easier and better welds with a 220 volt welder as your amperage will be a lot higher and easier to do. :)