Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Spare tire seized (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/299759-spare-tire-seized.html)

T4R03 08-20-2021 10:04 AM

Spare tire seized

I know there’s been plenty of threads on this however just wanted to know if anyone has gone with the cutting the wire route? I’m going to be going on a expedition soon and would need a spare. My vehicle is an 03 and with Chicago salt that thing isn’t budging any time soon and I don’t mind carrying the spare in my trunk. I want to cut the wheel and tire out. Can I do this by cutting the wire? Was hoping there was a better way than using a cut off wheel.

Inv4drZm 08-20-2021 10:13 AM

You can probably remove the winch and cable assembly entirely, I think the access to the bolts is on top of the crossmember. The hard part would be reaching that far up around the tire.

T4R03 08-20-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inv4drZm (Post 3665930)
You can probably remove the winch and cable assembly entirely, I think the access to the bolts is on top of the crossmember. The hard part would be reaching that far up around the tire.

Interesting. Might be able to get through the rim and to the bolt using some extensions and a swivel socket.

Syr4RinNC 08-20-2021 11:21 AM

Yep - ive had to replace that winch before. I always recommend cranking it down, WD40 for new 4r owners and regular use

you can certainly try to cut the wire then replace the winch. I might also try to see if you can get some leverage above the tire and see if you can get it to break

rdruss 08-20-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4R03 (Post 3665931)
Interesting. Might be able to get through the rim and to the bolt using some extensions and a swivel socket.

Don't count on it! I live in Chicagoland and have an '03 and had to replace my spare tire cable with the upgraded chain and it was a major pain to get the old rusted cable assembly off with the spare tire removed, took several hours!
I can't imagine it happening with the tire still up in place.

T4R03 08-20-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syr4RinNC (Post 3665950)
Yep - ive had to replace that winch before. I always recommend cranking it down, WD40 for new 4r owners and regular use

you can certainly try to cut the wire then replace the winch. I might also try to see if you can get some leverage above the tire and see if you can get it to break

So I got the bolt loose with a 3/8 extension and a longer 3/8 ratchet. Bolt just spins in place now. Won’t tighten back up and when I go to loosen it the tire won’t come back down. This mean I need a new assembly for sure now?

Berty_K 08-20-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4R03 (Post 3665983)
So I got the bolt loose with a 3/8 extension and a longer 3/8 ratchet. Bolt just spins in place now. Won’t tighten back up and when I go to loosen it the tire won’t come back down. This mean I need a new assembly for sure now?

Someone snipped mine loose in a Chicago parking lot a few years ago. Ended up getting a new assembly and tire, but you should be able to cut the wire without lowering the tire. Just don’t let the tire crush you, obviously.

T4R03 08-20-2021 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berty_K (Post 3665995)
Someone snipped mine loose in a Chicago parking lot a few years ago. Ended up getting a new assembly and tire, but you should be able to cut the wire without lowering the tire. Just don’t let the tire crush you, obviously.

Sweet. Sounds like this is going to be the route I take. Also sorry about you getting your tire stolen. Not everyone in Chicago is brain dead. Can’t say that about every individual though.