Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Problems & Warranty Issues (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-and-warranty-issues/)
-   -   2005 Sulfur Smell, anyone else? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-and-warranty-issues/9238-2005-sulfur-smell-anyone-else.html)

Solice 03-10-2005 07:20 AM

2005 Sulfur Smell, anyone else?

Anyone else with a 2005 V6 getting that sulfur smell (rotten eggs)? I did a search but didn't come up with anything for the '05s, lot's of '04s though. I couldn't find a TSB for the '05s either, but it's not fixed I can tell you that. Until I found this site my fiance and I thought maybe it was from it being new or the kind of fuel. We have over 7,000 mi (lot's of travelling) now and still are getting the smell once and a while. Just wanted to knwo if anyone else with the '05 is having this too and if there is a TSB out that I haven't found. Thanks ahead of time!

Solice 03-11-2005 05:50 AM

I guess I'm the only one that has an '05 with this on-going problem?

sharp4runr 03-11-2005 09:11 AM

I'm pretty sure its still a problem in 2005. Mine is a 2004 and they did the sulfur TSB, and it still has the smell but no where near the intensity it used to. From what I was told, the 2005 4Runners already have had the corrections done at the factory. Good luck on your search though.

tipotex 03-11-2005 10:20 AM

I have an '05 V6 with 2K miles on it. Just a couple of days ago was driving around with the back window down (rare opportunity; usually too hot down here for that). Accelerating from a corner onto a rural highway, I got a huge blast of a rich, stinky sulphur smell. Hasn't happened again. Not sure if it's just "not happening," or whether I just haven't been in the right circumstances to notice it.

Solice 03-11-2005 11:43 AM

Yeah, I just got back from the dealer and they told me that they do the "fix" on the '05s before they sell. So I guess mine is done. I don't smell it all the time either, I just wanted to try an nip it in the butt. On the way home I gave her a little extra gas then normal to see if I could get the smell to happen. Didn't work, so I guess it just happens once in a while. Oh well, Thanks guys!

sharp4runr 03-11-2005 11:47 AM

It mostly happens when you stomp on the gas when going up hill and then stop. Unfortunately I have a hill when going to the main road from my house.

drice78 03-11-2005 06:03 PM

I just picked up my 2005 a couple days ago. Noticed a sulfur smell after accelerating hard once. I only noticed it the one time, probably cause I am taking it easy here during this first 1000 miles.

How can we tell if the TSB was done to the 2005's at the dealer or not?

sharp4runr 03-11-2005 06:57 PM

If its a 2005, it's already done.

Solice 03-14-2005 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sharp4runr
If its a 2005, it's already done.

^^Bingo^^

broncosi 03-15-2005 10:22 PM

Here: Look at this sticky

it tells about what causes the smell and how to cure it

titaniumdevil 03-17-2005 12:56 AM

Hi, I just got my 2005 Toyota 4Runner this week, and I everytime after I shut off the engine and get out of the car it smells like sumthing is burning like rubber?

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it because the car is new? Or is it cuz I got a exhaust tip installed?

Solice 03-17-2005 01:24 AM

Is it definately a rubber smell or is it more like a rotten egg smell? The exhaust tip itself won't cause any smells because all it is is a piece of metal screwed on to the end of the muffler for a sportier look.

iFORCE 03-17-2005 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by titaniumdevil
Hi, I just got my 2005 Toyota 4Runner this week, and I everytime after I shut off the engine and get out of the car it smells like sumthing is burning like rubber?

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it because the car is new? Or is it cuz I got a exhaust tip installed?

It would be the undercoating smell (if you have it). The smell should go away in a week or so. :D I had undercoating done to mine and it smelt funny for a week.

titaniumdevil 03-17-2005 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by iFORCE
It would be the undercoating smell (if you have it). The smell should go away in a week or so. :D I had undercoating done to mine and it smelt funny for a week.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes i did get undercoating done :D .

iFORCE you are my hero tonight for making my worries about my 4Runner gone. Thank God I signed up to T4R.ORG:)

iFORCE 03-17-2005 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by titaniumdevil
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes i did get undercoating done :D .

iFORCE you are my hero tonight for making my worries about my 4Runner gone. Thank God I signed up to T4R.ORG:)

you're welcome. :D