Carplay on E7008

Danhex0

New member
Hello,

I have recently installed an e7008 into my 2003 4runner non NAV JBL and I am currently trying to find any way to get a carplay interface onto the oem headunit. Yes I know its much easier and more cost effective to invest in an aftermarket HU with carplay however I am very set on keeping the OEM headunit.

Grom makes a carplay interface for for "select Lexus Toyota 2003-2005" with specifically Toyota Camry e7003 in the compatibility specs, along with couple Lexus vehicles all from 2001-2006. Problem is I haven’t found anything online anywhere about having this system in e70xx nav units, only the lexus models which has a separate display cable and different plugs to the e7003 or e7008 and I do not want to drop 600 dollars on a interface that I don’t know will work in my car.

To my knowledge there is no way to get video input in the e7008 except the R27 plug for the RSE DVD player (which im still unsure if i can get my own video source through the R27 besides the DVD player as well as what video format it excepts.) I have found a universal carplay interface box that you install yourself but I need a way to get video and audio into the HU. There is also the problem of if the RSE DVD input locks out screen when you start driving so you are not distracted by any dvd while driving. I currently have no speed sensor or Ebrake signal attached to the HU but I do have a GPS antenna attached which locks out the NAVI controls while driving

This i also why I am wondering if the Grom unit works with the similar Camry E7003, how does that get it to display onto the headunit with no issues.

any help in appreciated because I do not want to waste money buying things to maybe get it to work.

Links:
Grom VLite VT2
Universal Carplay Kit

Pictures/Screenshots:
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 6.33.22 PM.png
    Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 6.33.22 PM.png
    659.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Nav Radio Connector Pinouts e7008.jpg
    Nav Radio Connector Pinouts e7008.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Toyota E7007 Nav Connections 02.jpg
    Toyota E7007 Nav Connections 02.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2088 (1).jpg
    IMG_2088 (1).jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 6.57.35 PM.png
    Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 6.57.35 PM.png
    331.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Hello! I installed the E7009 back in 2010 (or 2011, I can't remember). I was also looking into have a screen sharing device to attach to it, but after many years, I gave up. This unit just isn't compatible with those GROM kits. I still rock it, but am looking at 1) replacing the whole HU with an Android one, 2) keep the OEM NAV and put a screen either by the cupholders or top of the dash.
 
Yes I know lmao, I have read so many posts from 2000s and 2010s (that are as old or older then me) tying to find any info and I have seen you everywhere from when you first installed everything, super useful info!

I've been skeptical of the GROM kits actually being compatible but they sell so many that I wouldn't think they would list E7003, 17001, and 17007 from 2002-2006 Camrys, which are pretty similar to the e7008, as compatible with the VT2 and VL2 carplay kit by accident for so long.

I also feel like there has to be some type of way to use the RSE R27 video in as an input for other things besides a DVD player, maybe creating some kind of custom harness. However I haven't found much information on how this RSE video in works, video format, how the car knows RSE dvd is installed, etc, As well as how it works/shows up on the head unit screen itself and how to use it.

on a side note: I have also ordered the oem backup camera which should be coming soon! I tried using a generic cheap camera from amazon that replaces one of the license plates lights but i couldn't get it to show up on the screen. It would go into reverse mode but show a blank grey screen even after using the proper diagrams and pins, I highly doubt my wiring was incorrect. My thinking is that the camera is sending a video format that the e7008 cant read. I found a good deal on an oem camera so why not try it out again! (yes the aftermarket camera was receiving 12v not the 6v from the HU)
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2026-10-01 235416.png
    Screenshot 2026-10-01 235416.png
    316.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2026-10-01 235554.png
    Screenshot 2026-10-01 235554.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 2
My thought process is that technically if I get a carplay box that outputs the same format that the e7008 can accept I can have it replace the backup camera entirely and have the reverse pin on an on/off switch but this introduces the problem of the "check surroundings" text that also appears in reverse mode. probably would not use this method as you also loose the camera function.

Although, using this logic I was thinking of instead using the dvd input since it has the same v+/v- connections, having a high chance that it uses the same video format. However, this introduces the problem of the truck switching out of dvd mode when driving, but I'm sure a fix for this is not a issue.

I highly doubt any form of touch screen functionality is possible. I will most likely just have to use the aftermarket physical controller that comes with many of these universal carplay boxes and keep it hidden somewhere to only use when I need to so that everything looks completely oem.

My issue is I have no idea if this big concept will actually work. I have no idea how the RSE functions and behaves on the e7008 or specifically what video format the HU accepts, and don't want to spend time and money on this if its gonna be a waste. There is also the issue of audio, I think I can send audio though the aux pins somehow but that is also another unknown. I do have one of those Bluetooth audio kits which go where the CD player connector is and adds another "cd changer" that the unit picks up, I can maybe send audio from the carplay box through that Bluetooth audio but that has many unknows and adds complexity.

This carplay box looks promising:
 

Attachments

  • 04_f14f284e-72ca-42c7-8e13-db4b13cb8737.jpg
    04_f14f284e-72ca-42c7-8e13-db4b13cb8737.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 07_7d46b74b-6017-466a-8b71-80a20cbb780d.webp
    07_7d46b74b-6017-466a-8b71-80a20cbb780d.webp
    70 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,344
Messages
3,554,299
Members
248,046
Latest member
strumorlop

Trending content

Back
Top