Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-06-2020, 11:19 PM

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by csedman View Post
My 2003 has no record of ever gettinh the belt changed before I bought it 5 years so with188000. I have 215000 miled on it now but never have the money to get it done. I used to worry about it breaking but I was told by a Toyota service advisor that even if it breaks the result is typically not catastrophic as it is for most vehicles.

I still cross my fingers
Hoping it holds until I can afford to do it. Not sure if I can do it myself but know I can't afford to pay someone to do it.
The 2UZ in the v8 4runner is technically an interference engine, so when the the timing belts snaps the piston and valves could try to occupy the same space. Although I have seen from browsing here or facebook, one or two guys that have lost the belt on pre-vvti (03-04) and haven't grenaded the engine. Its certainly a risk.

Found the Facebook Post:
Snapped Belt: 4th Gen 4Runners
Running fine: 4th Gen 4Runners

Heres a T4R post: 04 4runner V8 Sport 2uz-fe timing belt failure, aftermath and the repair

If you're somewhat mechanically inclined and can scrape together some cash for the parts, maybe you and a buddy could give a go at it? From what I hear, most of the money is in the labor. Unfortunately as a v6 owner I haven't done one to give my feedback on the job, but I'm sure there are a few guys on here that could give tips if you get stuck. There are a few timing belt swap writeups on here including this one: Guide: V8 Timing belt replacement 2UZ-FE VVT-i

Last edited by y=mx+b; 10-06-2020 at 11:25 PM.
y=mx+b is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote