MeddlingKids
New member
Here's the situation:
I'm considering buying a new 4-Runner but can't decide whether to do it now, or five months from now when I get my yearly bonus and salary increase. This is a promotion year for me, so I'm fairly sure I know what my salary is going to be. Also, given the firm has had a good year and it's promotion time, there should be a fair amount of bonus money waiting for me.
Now, enough of that. I've figured out that, after taxes and 401(k) contribution, I currently have 17% of my Net available to contribute to savings. If I buy a 4-Runner now, I'd have 11% of my Net to savings. So, one might think I'd be best off waiting for the new salary and bonus. But, here's where the wrench gets tossed in.
I've found a dealership that seems willing to pay me MORE than I paid for my Civic a year ago. If I wait to purchase the 4-Runner, while it won't really drop in price, my trade offer will probably drop by about $3,000. Additionally, if I keep my Civic for another 5 months, I'll have to pay my registration, buy tires, and spend about $400 in preventative maintenance on it. I've determined that I would have about $5000 in positive equity in the 4Runner after a year, by only transferring in my equity on the Civic.
What would you guys do? Oh, my payment on the T4R would be $450, while my Civic is $262. (60 mos)
I'm considering buying a new 4-Runner but can't decide whether to do it now, or five months from now when I get my yearly bonus and salary increase. This is a promotion year for me, so I'm fairly sure I know what my salary is going to be. Also, given the firm has had a good year and it's promotion time, there should be a fair amount of bonus money waiting for me.
Now, enough of that. I've figured out that, after taxes and 401(k) contribution, I currently have 17% of my Net available to contribute to savings. If I buy a 4-Runner now, I'd have 11% of my Net to savings. So, one might think I'd be best off waiting for the new salary and bonus. But, here's where the wrench gets tossed in.
I've found a dealership that seems willing to pay me MORE than I paid for my Civic a year ago. If I wait to purchase the 4-Runner, while it won't really drop in price, my trade offer will probably drop by about $3,000. Additionally, if I keep my Civic for another 5 months, I'll have to pay my registration, buy tires, and spend about $400 in preventative maintenance on it. I've determined that I would have about $5000 in positive equity in the 4Runner after a year, by only transferring in my equity on the Civic.
What would you guys do? Oh, my payment on the T4R would be $450, while my Civic is $262. (60 mos)