Carolina Beaches

Just bought my first 4wd and can't wait to go out on the beach. Probably going to wait til December and buy a Freeman park annual pass, I'd rather go there than Fort Fisher because they allow dogs off leash in the offseason. Any general tips about beach driving for the first time, other than airing down? Do you guys generally use 4Hi or 4Lo at Freeman Park?

Clearly ive been inactive for a while...how have your beach travels been?
 
Been great! Well, until the summer...Freeman Park gets CRAZY crowded in the summer. I much prefer going in the off-season. Unfortunately there have been issues with the beach washing up, you'd think at $200 a pass they could afford some beach nourishment...I just hope it at least stays open throughout the offseason. As far as the truck goes, I recently put 5100s all around along with some Wheelers coils, plus some KO2s on her. Drives SO much better now! I also found that I don't really need to air down...especially with the new tires. Driving sensibly fixes any chance of getting stuck. I've been out there probably 30 times now (28 of them being pre-lift + tires) and have yet to get anywhere near stuck, not really sure how so many people manage to do it.
 
Been great! Well, until the summer...Freeman Park gets CRAZY crowded in the summer. I much prefer going in the off-season. Unfortunately there have been issues with the beach washing up, you'd think at $200 a pass they could afford some beach nourishment...I just hope it at least stays open throughout the offseason. As far as the truck goes, I recently put 5100s all around along with some Wheelers coils, plus some KO2s on her. Drives SO much better now! I also found that I don't really need to air down...especially with the new tires. Driving sensibly fixes any chance of getting stuck. I've been out there probably 30 times now (28 of them being pre-lift + tires) and have yet to get anywhere near stuck, not really sure how so many people manage to do it.

Great to here, for my money I get the annual pass to Fisher. Cant camp there, but theres so much more beach to explore
 
Great post... I'm further down towards the Southern Outer Banks, but I miss our old trips to Corolla and Corova, hanging out there all day, and then finding some great restaurants in Duck or Kill Devil Hills. Great vids!
 
Guess I should update this. I havent posted in a while but doesnt mean i havent been driving on beaches.

This is from the Carolina 4runners Off-Road Group meetup in 2019

 
Curious what its like to have to drive Corolla at night time? Wonder no more...PS I did almost hit a stump and ive drove this numerous times

 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,386
Messages
3,554,607
Members
248,079
Latest member
johnnya

Trending content

Back
Top