Harsh 3" lift - Rough Country

bwallick

Junior Member
Hi all, my 2000 4Runner SR5 3.4L auto has a horribly rough ride. It has a 3" Rough Country lift and 33: tires. I hit some washboards and the truck wanted to shudder off the road. After airing down to 18 psi, it was better, but I want more. I want to keep the lift and I carry moderate loads: 10 gallons fuel on the aftermarket bumper, along with spare tire, small camp kitchen and food, tools, firewood, lots of water (>10 gallons) and Jackery, car fridge and weapons.
Please share what the best setup is for this rig. Bilstein, OME? Can I keep the old springs and just do shocks?
Thanks,
b
 
Register to hide this ad
The answer to this question isn't necessarily vehicle-specific. In general I'd recommend watching some youtube videos from Tinkerer's Adventure to get an idea of what's going on. I think you'll find it's a give & take depending on your goals for the vehicle.


If your goal is to fly over washboards that's what high-end shocks (custom valving, reservoirs) are designed for. But that won't matter much if your lift has you only cycling the top 25% of your suspension travel (for example). On the other hand if you're loaded down with stock springs you'll likely be riding on the bumps which is also not gonna feel or handle great.

Your suspension will operate smoothest when having access to it's full travel cycle. Shocks with proper valving for your weight and terrain will help keep tires on the ground which is the goal of any suspension.

Maybe others will chime in to correct errors I've made but really that youtube channel has some good science that's worth understanding :)
 
Posty has given good info. In my limited experience, It's possible that alternative shocks may improve the ride. It's also possible that the springs that you selected are going to be stiff no matter what. I got OME springs and OME shocks back in 2013 when i set up my 4Runner. My ride is very stiff and rough when the 4R is empty, but smooths out nicely when I've got ≈500+ pounds of camping gear on the back. If your setup is still stiff when you're fully loaded up, you may have to consider changing both shocks and springs. Also, consider going down to a 2" to 2.5" lift if you find the 3" lift excessive.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,380
Messages
3,554,553
Members
248,082
Latest member
tuṣṭāva

Trending content

Back
Top