Hitch install complications

USSEnterprise

New member
Hey,
I was going to install a Curt class 3 hitch on my truck today, but when I went to bolt it up, there was an issue. For some reason, there were no tow hooks on the frame rails, and the outer hole on each side has a broken-off bolt in there, nice and rusted in place. Now, I know I should drill it out and retap the hole, but I was wondering...would it be safe to only use the six bolts instead of eight? I think I know the answer, but I figured I'd ask anyway...

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
should be okay just as long as you don't tow anything. Just a joke. doesn't sound like a good idea if you are towing. If you just use for a bike rack it would be ok.
 
should be okay just as long as you don't tow anything. Just a joke. doesn't sound like a good idea if you are towing. If you just use for a bike rack it would be ok.

I built my own hitch using 2" square, and only use 6 bolts.

Haven't had any issues as of yet.
 
Only the two most rearward bolts are actually welded to the frame, the others are on a carrier. Dig those out, and then you're left with the 2 weld nuts on each side of the frame.

I had one of those break when I replaced mine- what I did was just break the weld nut off (with a 3lb hammer) and then just use a free nut in it's place. Once it grabs you can tighten it to spec.
 
Only the two most rearward bolts are actually welded to the frame, the others are on a carrier. Dig those out, and then you're left with the 2 weld nuts on each side of the frame.

I had one of those break when I replaced mine- what I did was just break the weld nut off (with a 3lb hammer) and then just use a free nut in it's place. Once it grabs you can tighten it to spec.

Exactly. I replaced my stock w/ a Curt and that is what I did. Strong as an ox now, pulling LOADED 6x12 enclosed trailers with no problems.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,384
Messages
3,554,586
Members
248,078
Latest member
Talyn

Trending content

Back
Top