dmcwhorter9974
New member
Hey guys-
I'm David- I'm a geologist and an Air Force vet currently attending UGA for my masters in geophysics. Happy to be here.
I found my way into a 2002 4 runner with 87000 miles on Tuesday. Actually got it at a Dodge dealership in south Atlanta- was upside down on a 5lug Tacoma for a while and got a good trade in price which left me at 4800 price out the door. I have always wanted a 4runner- had a land rover discovery 2 but always was envious of that back glass rolling down. Room for the kids now and much happier with payments. Only drawback is 2wd- but it seemed like a decent tradeoff since I couldnt find another under 120k within driving range in the last month. I noticed a humming sound coming from my drivers side engine bay when stopping today- so I have tracked down some forum posts and troubleshooted to a master cylinder assembly. I was fortunate enough to pick one up on here today for a couple hundred bucks that I am going to keep in reserve should the swap be necessary in the future. I took the 4runner to a local mechanic and had a full inspection done. Besides a cracked bushing and one rotor being slightly warped from heat- nothing major in the way of problems. Engine and drivetrain are solid. Hoping to get another 200k out of it. I know I have a task ahead of me in replacing my timing belt in the future. I've done some research on it on here already. Besides changing transmission and all other fluids- anything else you guys in the 200k+ range can offer in the way of maintenance? The low mileage convinced me to get it- and I know the V6's are reliable. I just want to keep this one as a daily driver for as long as possible. One other question- since I'm changing the timing belt- what else should I go ahead and knock out while I have all of that disassembled? Would rather spend the money now in preventative maintenance than have to deal with it later as a compounding problem when 2000 dollar mechanical problems could be somewhat marriage-ending.
Thanks in advance- look forward to wasting some time with all you guys and gals.
I'm David- I'm a geologist and an Air Force vet currently attending UGA for my masters in geophysics. Happy to be here.
I found my way into a 2002 4 runner with 87000 miles on Tuesday. Actually got it at a Dodge dealership in south Atlanta- was upside down on a 5lug Tacoma for a while and got a good trade in price which left me at 4800 price out the door. I have always wanted a 4runner- had a land rover discovery 2 but always was envious of that back glass rolling down. Room for the kids now and much happier with payments. Only drawback is 2wd- but it seemed like a decent tradeoff since I couldnt find another under 120k within driving range in the last month. I noticed a humming sound coming from my drivers side engine bay when stopping today- so I have tracked down some forum posts and troubleshooted to a master cylinder assembly. I was fortunate enough to pick one up on here today for a couple hundred bucks that I am going to keep in reserve should the swap be necessary in the future. I took the 4runner to a local mechanic and had a full inspection done. Besides a cracked bushing and one rotor being slightly warped from heat- nothing major in the way of problems. Engine and drivetrain are solid. Hoping to get another 200k out of it. I know I have a task ahead of me in replacing my timing belt in the future. I've done some research on it on here already. Besides changing transmission and all other fluids- anything else you guys in the 200k+ range can offer in the way of maintenance? The low mileage convinced me to get it- and I know the V6's are reliable. I just want to keep this one as a daily driver for as long as possible. One other question- since I'm changing the timing belt- what else should I go ahead and knock out while I have all of that disassembled? Would rather spend the money now in preventative maintenance than have to deal with it later as a compounding problem when 2000 dollar mechanical problems could be somewhat marriage-ending.
Thanks in advance- look forward to wasting some time with all you guys and gals.