LittleCaesar
New member
In searching for why I have been slowly losing ATF fluid, I found that one of the hoses connected to my Magnefine was cracked at the end. Since the Magnefine had been connected for three years (they only recommend 1 year or 12,000 miles), I removed it and opened it up.
The pics:
Conclusion:
After three years and 20,000+ miles on the Magnefine, I did not find any big particles in the filter media or on the magnet, so in turn the tranny gets a clean bill of health. One thing that was concerning was how the filter media texture was like that of cardboard. I am guessing that is why the manufacturer recommends not running the same Magnefine for more than 12 months or 12,000 miles in case the filter media was to rip, tear, etc. Otherwise it was well built.
If I had to use a rebuilt or junkyard tranny in my 4runner, I'd use a Magnefine filter any day but for no more than a year. If I were looking for an external media device to catch possible metal shavings or the like on a 4runner with no tranny problems yet to date, I'd invest in a remote spin on filter with a magnet attached on the outside. I may do such one day, and will post pics if I do.
The pics:
Conclusion:
After three years and 20,000+ miles on the Magnefine, I did not find any big particles in the filter media or on the magnet, so in turn the tranny gets a clean bill of health. One thing that was concerning was how the filter media texture was like that of cardboard. I am guessing that is why the manufacturer recommends not running the same Magnefine for more than 12 months or 12,000 miles in case the filter media was to rip, tear, etc. Otherwise it was well built.
If I had to use a rebuilt or junkyard tranny in my 4runner, I'd use a Magnefine filter any day but for no more than a year. If I were looking for an external media device to catch possible metal shavings or the like on a 4runner with no tranny problems yet to date, I'd invest in a remote spin on filter with a magnet attached on the outside. I may do such one day, and will post pics if I do.