One more pricing advice question (2002 SR5 2WD)

drewser

New member
Black with tan leather
Sunroof
2WD (4WD would be nice but about 75% of the 3rd gen in the Dallas area are 2WD -- doesn't really bother me that much for what I expect to use it for)
113K miles
Original owner (clean AutoCheck, for what that's worth)

Not "sports package" but has fender flares, upgraded seats, etc.
Similar in appearance to this one (apologies for the size):

036605_800600.jpg


Interior is immaculate -- just some expected wear on driver seat bolsters

Exterior has a few expected scratches & dings -- not really a concern for me
Tires are at about 25% remaining tread

PPI found the following issues:
- Leaking rear shock
- Slight leak in valve cover gasket ($400)
- Faulty fan clutch ($250)
- Drivers window operates but making noise that suggests it might be on its way out

Timing belt, water pump, front brakes, and rack & pinion addressed at 95K miles

Asking price is $9000 -- I offered $8400 and he came back at $8850 firm. That would still be under my budget, and I'm not looking for a steal -- I just don't want to overpay.

I know pricing opinions are tough due to regional differences, etc., but would $8850 be a fair price to both sides? Thanks for any opinions.
 
Register to hide this ad
Doesnt seem to be too bad of a price though u might find a bette deal just dpending on how long ur gonna wanna wait to pull the trigger.

Side note: im thinking of selling my 4runner if ur interested, not sure wat ur budget is but im looking to get 12k for it.
 
IMHO, there are two types of folks (non dealers) who sell cars: those who want to sell them due to having bought another one, etc. and those who just want to see what they can get for their car. This seller seems to fit the latter bill and these folks can be a real PITA.

I'd say move on because the shock replacement, if not DIY, can run another $200~300 for the rears if you get a generic Monroe, KYB or the like. Plus new ATF, diff fluid, and brake fluid would be needed. How about the front brakes? If he was offering it for $7850, I'd say sure.
 
Too high IMO and that is coming from the Bay Area. If it was 4wd I would say go for it, but a 2wd should be around 7500-8k. If you really want a 4wd then wait. You are making a big investment and no reason to cut corners. I waited 6 months till I found mine. The search sucks big time and many times I almost gave up and bought something I was excited about. Plus a 4wd will have a better resale value.
 
I got my 4x4 in Dallas for around $9K. It had 139K on it. Your choice on the drive but 4x4's can be found in that price range.
 
Thanks for the feedback. I passed -- wouldn't have been able to enjoy it paying that much and knowing I still had a list of issues that would need to be addressed over the next few months.

Pretty ridiculous though -- I have been looking on & off for a year, and HARD for the past three months (when it became clear that the AC in a 20 yr old BMW was no match for Texas summers). This is only the second one I've found in a 200 mile radius that was worth taking in for a PPI.

The one in the picture in the first post above was a 4X4 SR5 with 128K miles on it. I went to take a look, came home and when I called him to see about taking it in for a PPI, he said a guy from Tennessee called and offered him $10,500 for it, sight unseen. It was listed for a day. It was in great shape but even he didn't expect to get that much.

I got my 4x4 in Dallas for around $9K. It had 139K on it. Your choice on the drive but 4x4's can be found in that price range.
There was a 4WD one (link may not work since it's sold) listed yesterday at AutoFlex in Richardson pretty much identical to yours with 133K, listed for $10K. Ran up there this evening to take a look, thinking I might offer around $9K, and it had already sold for full price. :redbrick:

Side note: im thinking of selling my 4runner if ur interested, not sure wat ur budget is but im looking to get 12k for it.
Thanks -- it looks like you've got far more invested in yours than I'd be able to take advantage of. I just need something reliable to haul real estate signs and take clients around in from time to time.
 
Too much! I looked that one over pretty close on eBay. If it was 4x4, and none of this:

- Leaking rear shock
- Slight leak in valve cover gasket ($400)
- Faulty fan clutch ($250)
- Drivers window operates but making noise



....then it would be worth $9k. As it is, it's worth $7k, imo.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
278,312
Messages
3,554,083
Members
248,016
Latest member
Advally Service

Trending content

Back
Top