Remember Those Saying the 5th Gen Was Dated?

Register to hide this ad
the 5th gen 4runner for me has the exact right amount of tech. I have a 2012. and it's still easy enough to repair on my own for non major repairs (I've done things like take out the seats, replace motors/actuators, put in a rear deck platform, troubleshoot leaks etc.) . it comes apart fairly easily on the interior as well. the engine bay isnt cramped and there isn't so much wiring on the interior of body panels it takes an afternoon to sort out

it's one of the last good body on frame work horses that is capable offroad. I dont think brand new my limited cost CAD 40K when it was brand new, again that's CAD. I still have the sticker in my folder with all the other paperwork over the years
 
I have enjoyed my '18 SR5. It is used in all weather - rain, snow, ice, muddy roads. I use it on my acreage as if it were a pickup truck. I let nature wash it (I focus on the interior) and it was always parked outdoors, until recently when I built a carport, and the paint and headlights still look good on those rare occasions that I do wash it. I drag my driveways and dirt road leading to my home using a heavy drag. I tow my utility trailer with items too large, bulky to fit in the back. It takes me on class III and IV trails during hunting season. I run BFG All Terrain T/A tires in load range E, yet the truck rides smoother and is quieter inside than my '12 Subaru Outback. Best of all, it's paid for (paid in full when purchased). The truck will outlive me and is earmarked for my grandson, who is still driving my '02 Tacoma TRD Off Road that I gave him when I bought the 4Runner. I like the looks of the exterior of the 6th gen T4R, but not the interior. Say what they will about the "dinosaur" 5th gen, but to me, it and the 2nd and 3rd gens are the best (4th gen is fine, I just don't care for the looks inside or out).
 
The 8-speed in my LC250 shifts just fine ‍‍♂️. So does the 5-speed in my son’s 5th Gen. I do see trans temps fluctuate a bunch in the LC250 no gauge in the 5th to monitor. Lots of Toyota 8-speed transmission variants so not sure which model the Gimooontv guy is actually talking about in the video above.
 
I own two Toyota 8-speed transmissions and a Toyota 6-speed transmission. The 8-speeds are a bit clunky, especially at lower speeds, but work fine in both front-wheel (Camry) and all-wheel drive (Rav4) applications. The 6-speed transmission (GX460) is amazingly smooth. The only time I hear it is when I am in 6th gear and hit an incline, forcing the tranny to shift down. Otherwise, I forget it's there.

With all that said, automatic transmissions just aren't engaging and I find myself looking forward to my next short errand so that I can play around with my 5-speed manual Civic. I would love a manual transmission 5th gen 4Runner.
 
I own two Toyota 8-speed transmissions and a Toyota 6-speed transmission. The 8-speeds are a bit clunky, especially at lower speeds, but work fine in both front-wheel (Camry) and all-wheel drive (Rav4) applications. The 6-speed transmission (GX460) is amazingly smooth. The only time I hear it is when I am in 6th gear and hit an incline, forcing the tranny to shift down. Otherwise, I forget it's there.

With all that said, automatic transmissions just aren't engaging and I find myself looking forward to my next short errand so that I can play around with my 5-speed manual Civic. I would love a manual transmission 5th gen 4Runner.
I have a 2005 Honda Acoord w/. 2.4L and 5 spd manual. It is fun to drive.
 
I have a 2005 Honda Acoord w/. 2.4L and 5 spd manual. It is fun to drive.
Yeah. I know manuals are essentially a thing of the past but dang it, you can be creative rather than just the point-and-shoot approach of an automatic. Take it completely out of gear and coast, downshift and accelerate at the apex of a corner, go through the gears slowly or quickly based on driving conditions, the control you have is total.

Many of the people I know have never even driven a manual let alone own one. What a waste.
 
I once took my '54 Chev to a shop. They knew how to use the three-on-the-tree and the clutch, but when the work was finished and they went to start it, the simple ON-OFF key confused them. The shop apologized to me for an apparent dead-battery. The starter was a separate floor "button" beside the gas pedal, and it started right up for me :)

(this floor-button simply pushed a mechanical contactor, shorting the starter-power feed to the starter-motor itself. It performed the same function as a starter-solenoid, which would come later)
 
I once took my '54 Chev to a shop. They knew how to use the three-on-the-tree and the clutch, but when the work was finished and they went to start it, the simple ON-OFF key confused them. The shop apologized to me for an apparent dead-battery. The starter was a separate floor "button" beside the gas pedal, and it started right up for me :)

(this floor-button simply pushed a mechanical contactor, shorting the starter-power feed to the starter-motor itself. It performed the same function as a starter-solenoid, which would come later)
I remember those floor switches well, had many vehicles with them!!

I surprised they didn't say something about the key switch return spring being broke as well since it was either on or off!!
 
I remember those floor switches well, had many vehicles with them!!

I surprised they didn't say something about the key switch return spring being broke as well since it was either on or off!!
Cars were so much simpler then. We had a Springtime Yellow 66 Mustang hardtop that had the high beam switch on the floor. Everything on that car was super simple. In the mid-90s, she was t-boned beyond repair.
 
Yeah. I know manuals are essentially a thing of the past but dang it, you can be creative rather than just the point-and-shoot approach of an automatic. Take it completely out of gear and coast, downshift and accelerate at the apex of a corner, go through the gears slowly or quickly based on driving conditions, the control you have is total.

Many of the people I know have never even driven a manual let alone own one. What a waste.
Before retiring, I commuted to work from Fullerton to Downtown LA. People would ask how could I do that with a manual transmission. The answer is really simple: you are more engaged with the drive than a point and shoot automatics. It become seamless. I could drive a manual and drink my coffee at the same time.

My son was taught to drive a stick. He still has my old ‘73 Bronco that I converted from 3 on a tree to 3 on the floor. He’s since added fuel injection to that 302 V8. Eventually, after I gain experience painting my K2500 Suburbans, I will do the restore for him on the Bronco.
 
Before retiring, I commuted to work from Fullerton to Downtown LA. People would ask how could I do that with a manual transmission. The answer is really simple: you are more engaged with the drive than a point and shoot automatics. It become seamless. I could drive a manual and drink my coffee at the same time.

My son was taught to drive a stick. He still has my old ‘73 Bronco that I converted from 3 on a tree to 3 on the floor. He’s since added fuel injection to that 302 V8. Eventually, after I gain experience painting my K2500 Suburbans, I will do the restore for him on the Bronco.
Teaching your kid to drive a manual is a sign of great parenting.
 
I have a 2005 Honda Acoord w/. 2.4L and 5 spd manual. It is fun to drive.

sometimes when Im driving I'll just take my foot off the gas for a second accelerating to make it feel a bit like a manual car. my dad has an old sports car I use to ride in as a kid. I always liked the feeling when you move just a tad forward in your seat when you accelerate and upshift. it was such a cool feeling as a kid. Now I do it if I want to make it feel like Im driving a big rig semi truck ha
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,380
Messages
3,554,546
Members
248,082
Latest member
tuṣṭāva

Trending content

Back
Top