RPM’s won’t go over 2500

Ali0227

Member
Hey y’all I have an 04 v6 and I’ve been noticing what I sense as a lower idle when in park or at a traffic light. Then when I go on the highway weather 60, 70 or 80 mph won’t go over 2500 rpm’s even when accelerating to higher speeds, seems like it’s being held back. I also notice a sluggishness lately when trying to pass some cars traveling at higher speed than I never noticed before. I have 135k mikes and original owner. Any help is appreciated. I also think I have a slight coolant leak. I had one years ago but problem was found and fixed. I’ve lost about 3 or 4 inches of coolant over last 4-6 weeks. I refill to fill line and then after a couple of weeks, I notice a loss but don’t see anything on the ground. I always dread the possibility of a bad head gasket with these engines! Thanks all for any input!
 
Register to hide this ad
I see you posted on another thread about cat converters going bad. One that is bad enough to affect RPM is most likely plugged and will show hotter than the rest with a laser thermometer. I've seen people pull the upper O2's to prove where the issue is if plugged.

Do you have any codes?
 
Plug in a scanner, check values on O2 sensors and coolant temp sensor to see if their in range.

A faulty coolant sensor can cause sluggish performance when you floor it.
 
I see you posted on another thread about cat converters going bad. One that is bad enough to affect RPM is most likely plugged and will show hotter than the rest with a laser thermometer. I've seen people pull the upper O2's to prove where the issue is if plugged.

Do you have any codes?
I see you posted on another thread about cat converters going bad. One that is bad enough to affect RPM is most likely plugged and will show hotter than the rest with a laser thermometer. I've seen people pull the upper O2's to prove where the issue is if plugged.

Do you have any codes?
I see you posted on another thread about cat converters going bad. One that is bad enough to affect RPM is most likely plugged and will show hotter than the rest with a laser thermometer. I've seen people pull the upper O2's to prove where the issue is if plugged.

Do you have any codes?
Hi, I never updated my thread. I had a bad radiator and replaced it 2 years ago.
I see you posted on another thread about cat converters going bad. One that is bad enough to affect RPM is most likely plugged and will show hotter than the rest with a laser thermometer. I've seen people pull the upper O2's to prove where the issue is if plugged.

Do you have any codes?
Sorry, I never updated! I only drive it half the year (garage the other half) and discovered the coolant leak was coming from the radiator. I replaced it in the fall of 24'. Haven't had the issue so maybe it was from the radiator. I honestly forgot all about it until last weekend when I was on the freeway booking it, looked down at the dash and it was over 90 mph. My eyes just happened to catch the RPMs and I was over 3 w/o any struggle.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,385
Messages
3,554,592
Members
248,079
Latest member
johnnya

Trending content

Back
Top