ecufishbowl
New member
Alright I've been dealing with this for over a month and a half...
I neglected to get my tires rotated for a year after I put them on. They are 255/75R17 Duratracs. I also put on the Daystar 2.5/1.5 spacer lift on. It is an 08' with 96,000 miles on it.
I stopped in the shop for an oil change and mentioned that my front tires had started to make a humming noise. He looked at my front tires and said they were "chopped". Come to find out that because I hadn't gotten my tires rotated they hadn't noticed that my alignment was slightly off. So had my car re-aligned and tires rotated. They put the front tires on the rear and said it should be good now.
So after I had my tires rotated, my alignment felt off alittle. So I took it to the shop again and they said they should have done the alignment AFTER rotating the tires. So they fixed the alignment again.
I still felt like the alignment was off and that my steering wheel felt alittle loose.
So I took the truck back and they decided there was a tiny bit of play in my tie rods. So I had to have those replaced (cost me over $400...). Then they said that its likely that I need new front suspension. They quoted me around $1500 for new front struts and CV axles that would still give me the 2inches of lift up front. He barely touched my truck on the corners to diagnose that... I haven't felt any bouncing off speed bumps or anything like that... I felt suspicious that they were just taking me for a ride.
I wanted a second opinion so I took my truck to another place that I used to take my old 4runner to. I explained to him what they did and what they said. He had me leave it there with them for a day and would do a look over. He called me the next day and told me that he didn't see anything wrong with the exception of a little grease from the CV boot but that it didn't need to be replaced just yet... He said if it were his truck, he wouldn't do any work to it right now. He also said the suspension looked and felt fine.
I'm at a loss at this point. I'm a public school teacher and don't have much extra cash at the moment so spending over $1k on my truck would really be difficult. I really need to know for sure what the issues are...
At this point I haven't done anything else except the tie-rods at the first shop. My tire noise is horrible but I was told that now that the alignment is correct the tires should wear back out to even over time. I'm posting a picture to show what the front tires looked like (now on back after rotation). I'm not sure if this is "cupping" or "feathering" and if I should be blaming the suspension and completely replacing the front... I'm concerned I'm going to ruin the other two tires that are now up front..
Any help figuring out what I should do would be greatly appreciated.
I can't win.. I thought I could post pictures of it using my photobucket but I'm assuming you guys can't see the pictures..



I neglected to get my tires rotated for a year after I put them on. They are 255/75R17 Duratracs. I also put on the Daystar 2.5/1.5 spacer lift on. It is an 08' with 96,000 miles on it.
I stopped in the shop for an oil change and mentioned that my front tires had started to make a humming noise. He looked at my front tires and said they were "chopped". Come to find out that because I hadn't gotten my tires rotated they hadn't noticed that my alignment was slightly off. So had my car re-aligned and tires rotated. They put the front tires on the rear and said it should be good now.
So after I had my tires rotated, my alignment felt off alittle. So I took it to the shop again and they said they should have done the alignment AFTER rotating the tires. So they fixed the alignment again.
I still felt like the alignment was off and that my steering wheel felt alittle loose.
So I took the truck back and they decided there was a tiny bit of play in my tie rods. So I had to have those replaced (cost me over $400...). Then they said that its likely that I need new front suspension. They quoted me around $1500 for new front struts and CV axles that would still give me the 2inches of lift up front. He barely touched my truck on the corners to diagnose that... I haven't felt any bouncing off speed bumps or anything like that... I felt suspicious that they were just taking me for a ride.
I wanted a second opinion so I took my truck to another place that I used to take my old 4runner to. I explained to him what they did and what they said. He had me leave it there with them for a day and would do a look over. He called me the next day and told me that he didn't see anything wrong with the exception of a little grease from the CV boot but that it didn't need to be replaced just yet... He said if it were his truck, he wouldn't do any work to it right now. He also said the suspension looked and felt fine.
I'm at a loss at this point. I'm a public school teacher and don't have much extra cash at the moment so spending over $1k on my truck would really be difficult. I really need to know for sure what the issues are...
At this point I haven't done anything else except the tie-rods at the first shop. My tire noise is horrible but I was told that now that the alignment is correct the tires should wear back out to even over time. I'm posting a picture to show what the front tires looked like (now on back after rotation). I'm not sure if this is "cupping" or "feathering" and if I should be blaming the suspension and completely replacing the front... I'm concerned I'm going to ruin the other two tires that are now up front..
Any help figuring out what I should do would be greatly appreciated.
I can't win.. I thought I could post pictures of it using my photobucket but I'm assuming you guys can't see the pictures..



Last edited:

