Pardon the long story but it is necessary to understand my dilemma. I have a feeling I know which way the scales will tip, but I'll ask anyway.
I just picked up a brand spankin '14 TE with KDSS/NAV. I love it, its my 3rd 4runner (had 2 3rd gens and a '12 TRD Taco for my last 3 vehicles). I really do plan on driving this one until the wheels fall off.
My last 3rd gen had 165k on the clock, 3" lift (5100's on tundra coils and OME rear), stock tire size
, and I took that thing effing everywhere. I'd put it in places it had no business going and had a heck of a fun time doing it. It felt rock solid and after changing the LBJ's I had no questions about the thing breaking.
My '12 Taco on the other hand was a different story. I got it immediately after college and unfortunately realized that they built the truck "soft". It couldn't hold a load, bottomed out frequently and just felt more timid offroad. I put on a full OME lift, sliders, and +1 Yoko Geolanders. I couldn't help shaking the feeling that the thing wasn't as solid. It made the occasional weird noise and freaked me out that something was going to break. I also had a RTT I tried every which way to put on the truck but after reading horror stories about the occasional composite bed spreading or camper shell cracking, even if one in a million did it, I couldn't bring myself to potentially break a $30k truck. I actually twice took the lift off, sold it, and put a lift back on trying to make myself happy with the Taco. I inevitably sold it two weeks ago for my 4runner.
NOW....
I'm deciding if I want to leave this 4Runner as-is or mod it. I would ideally like to use a RTT. I've thought about a Bajarack and tent on top but wonder if the stock suspension can handle the weight of rack/tent/camping gear and not drive like crap off-road (which for me is mainly fire roads and easy trails). If the answer to that is no, then the decision is do I want a trailer for the RTT or go all out and lift the 4runner. I know want to get rid of the stock tires ASAFP, but don't know if I should go one size bigger or keep the stock size. It depends on if I plan on lifting it or not.
Obviously I have a little bit of paranoia when it comes to my vehicles. I know that a dealer can't deny a warranty claim unless they can provide aftermarket stuff caused the problem, but I would hate to have to fight a dealer for the next 30/60k miles if something goes wrong on my rig.
I just picked up a brand spankin '14 TE with KDSS/NAV. I love it, its my 3rd 4runner (had 2 3rd gens and a '12 TRD Taco for my last 3 vehicles). I really do plan on driving this one until the wheels fall off.
My last 3rd gen had 165k on the clock, 3" lift (5100's on tundra coils and OME rear), stock tire size
My '12 Taco on the other hand was a different story. I got it immediately after college and unfortunately realized that they built the truck "soft". It couldn't hold a load, bottomed out frequently and just felt more timid offroad. I put on a full OME lift, sliders, and +1 Yoko Geolanders. I couldn't help shaking the feeling that the thing wasn't as solid. It made the occasional weird noise and freaked me out that something was going to break. I also had a RTT I tried every which way to put on the truck but after reading horror stories about the occasional composite bed spreading or camper shell cracking, even if one in a million did it, I couldn't bring myself to potentially break a $30k truck. I actually twice took the lift off, sold it, and put a lift back on trying to make myself happy with the Taco. I inevitably sold it two weeks ago for my 4runner.
NOW....
I'm deciding if I want to leave this 4Runner as-is or mod it. I would ideally like to use a RTT. I've thought about a Bajarack and tent on top but wonder if the stock suspension can handle the weight of rack/tent/camping gear and not drive like crap off-road (which for me is mainly fire roads and easy trails). If the answer to that is no, then the decision is do I want a trailer for the RTT or go all out and lift the 4runner. I know want to get rid of the stock tires ASAFP, but don't know if I should go one size bigger or keep the stock size. It depends on if I plan on lifting it or not.
Obviously I have a little bit of paranoia when it comes to my vehicles. I know that a dealer can't deny a warranty claim unless they can provide aftermarket stuff caused the problem, but I would hate to have to fight a dealer for the next 30/60k miles if something goes wrong on my rig.