View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 12:52 PM

JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future

JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future JZiggy has a brilliant future
I installed an LCE short shifter kit this weekend. This modifies the pivot location of the transmission shifter upward ~1" so that the lever has to travel a shorter distance to change gears. This isn't a comprehensive writeup but just a few pics of the install.

The shifter comes out and LCE's shifter extension is installed. There are a pair of half-moon keepers under the extension and three set screws installed with loctite.

Torque 'em evenly and then "stake" the set screws as per LCE's directions. We do NOT want these to fall into the transmission.

Pop in a new shifter seat into the base, install the shifter, and put the new shifter end bushing on.

There's a new spacer that goes under the shifter base to put the pivot point upward. Installation was made way easier with a bent 12mm wrench since the clearance is now much reduced.

All done!

This kit really improves the shifting in my opinion. I'm able to shift gears more quickly with less effort and the transmission seems to be happier with it. It may be that I'm able to snag the next gear while the gears are still spinning down, rather than the synchros having to spin them back up while I'm moving the lever.

Other side benefits are that it moves the shifter handle up about 1" which is a more natural place for me anyway. And now when in 4th gear I can still fit a large thermos in the front cupholder! Woo hoo!
JZiggy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote