Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 09:31 PM

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of

y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of y=mx+b has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads2539 View Post
I have a question about the LCA removal/install that I havenÂ’t found an answer to on this forum or through a google search.

I also had to cut the front bushing sleeves on both sides (4 cuts) to remove my 16 year old frozen rusty LCAs. They both stuck out on the front and the rear. (No issues with either rear bushing.)

My new, aftermarket (Detroit Axle brand?) LCAs came with the two ball joints and four bushings installed.

I am reusing my OEM alignment adjusting bolts/cams(?).

The front adjusting bolts are smaller in diameter than the new bushing sleeves.

Question: Can I buy sleeves, to replace the sleeves that I cut, for the front bushings so the bolts that go through the bushings fit more snugly? Right now, I think the front bushings will move around when I am driving. When adjusting the LCAs, the nuts turn a little before the LCAs move.

I donÂ’t want to go get an alignment and have them say there is free play in the front bushings. Before I replaced the LCAs, an alignment couldnÂ’t be done because all the adjusters were frozen stuck with rust.

I bought some aftermarket adjusting bolts that are larger diameter than OEM, but I couldnÂ’t figure out how to adjust them. It was easy to adjust the OEM adjusters. I may re-install the aftermarket bolts in the front bushings and try to adjust them again. I think they fit snugly, but I donÂ’t remember how snugly.

Thanks in advance!
Hey thanks for reaching out! Hopefully I can provide some insight that may lead you in the right direction. Sorry for the late response, since this thread is in a different section, its harder to monitor. Feel free to tag me directly if you need my attention quickly, should be able to copy this:
HTML Code:
[MENTION=429038]y=mx+b[/MENTION]
I had a similar issue where the Whiteline bushing sleeve IDs were slightly larger than the OEM alignment hardware, which had a little play that I was worried about. I made a thread on that and it can be seen here: Cam Bolts and Whiteline LCA Bushing Excessive Play Help. Here's a quote of the important stuff:
Quote:
Originally Posted by y=mx+b View Post
Measurements:
I took measurements a bit after posting this, and the pictures can be found in post #14 linked here: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3493028-post14.html
The OD of the rear cam bolt is a close to 13.5mm
The ID of the rear bushing sleeve is close to 14.5mm
The OD of the front cam bolt is a hair over 19mm
The ID of the front bushing sleeve is just about 20mm

Videos
rear bushing sleeve play: YouTube
front cam bolt and bushing sleeve play: YouTube
front bushing play: YouTube
front bushing play 2: YouTube
long story short, this amount of play is fine and just has a small gap so they're in constant contact all the time.

Is this similar to the issue you're having? Or is the play you have more than what I was experiencing? If you're able to take measurements with a caliper or something, that would be a great way to quantify the amount of play you're experiencing. Do you have pictures that you can upload of the old/reused Toyota hardware vs the new larger hardware?

I also saw you had a question mark by the Toyota hardware, is the hardware you have still good if you had to cut things out? This is a pic of all the necessary alignment hardware on the bottom row (+the whiteline bushings and tubes that you won't have to worry about) to confirm you have everything.
y=mx+b is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote