Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 03:06 PM

gimlithepirate is a jewel in the rough gimlithepirate is a jewel in the rough gimlithepirate is a jewel in the rough

gimlithepirate is a jewel in the rough gimlithepirate is a jewel in the rough gimlithepirate is a jewel in the rough
Diff Breather and Washer Bottle Relocation

We now get into the realm of reactive modding. This is a bad idea, don't do this. Generally, you want to think about what trails you want to drive, and mod to do those trails safely. I however, was an idiot and instead did this at the end of a trip:

Initially seemed fine, but a few miles down the road, VSC and ATRAC lights started blinking. The car would also in some cases suddenly lock the center diff. Oops.

Thankfully (?) the big problem appears to have self healed. No more lights, and I haven't had any in a while. Hopefully they stay away. I did however check all of my oils after the incident, and sure enough the rear diff had water in it.

To prevent this, I bought a diff relocation kit from @Berty_K here on the forum. Details on his kit are here https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3501328-post3678.html Yes you can build your own, but his came with enough hose to mount in the engine bay. so all diff breathers are easy to check.

Plus he posted his detailed instructions to the forum gratis, and I like to support people that help the community when I can. Installation was a breeze, and the instructions were great.

While I was at it, I decided to take care of another niggling issue and relocate my washer bottle. While I have *just* enough room in the wheel wells for my 255's, at full lock turning to the left I would sometimes rub against the stock washer bottle. Given I live somewhere with minimal rain, I decided to relocate the washer bottle to the engine compartment.

I used the kit available here: Windshield Washer Tank Relocation Kit — Silver Rhino Media. Again, could probably put something together myself (and his site has instructions on how to do this. However, this came with brackets to properly mount it, and was setup so you retain both the front and rear washer functionality. I could DIY it, but it was cheap enough it was easier just to order it.

Anyway, two easy fixes to annoying problems is always a win in my book.

2007 v8 4Runner Limited Build thread: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...ing-build.html
gimlithepirate is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote