I know there have been a few threads about the ticking noises some of our V6's make, but I wanted a second opinion. Is this loud ticking normal? Passenger side of the motor is much quieter than the drivers side.
I know this thread here goes into detail about the possible culprit...
I can't watch the video right now but my V6 makes a pretty loud ticking sound. It comes mostly from the driver's side and only starts when the vehicle warms up to operating temperature. I think it's pretty normal.
no, that sound is not normal but if you ask me, it's nothing to worry about. I've had that problem which I was trying to locate for a long time and what fixed my issue is the PCV valve. when I replaced it, I've never heart it since.
I can't watch the video right now but my V6 makes a pretty loud ticking sound. It comes mostly from the driver's side and only starts when the vehicle warms up to operating temperature. I think it's pretty normal.
Doesn't seem to be anything too serious then? Running normally, not throwing any codes. I'm almost wondering wonder if I may have a small exhaust manifold leak? It's made the noise since I've bought it but seems to have been getting louder. Also get a sulfur smell every once in a while but it was so random, I've just blamed it on the area I was driving through... Or the gf
Was able to troubleshoot it today. It is in fact this little guy:
Courtesy of CJ3Flyr
Only ticks at idle, goes away if you rev it. Unplugged it for a second, voila, noise gone. Plugged it back in and noise returned. Guess I'll just deal with it! :cheers:
It's from the link up top. It is the "Vacuum Switching Valve". I can't say for sure if how loud mine has been is normal, but appears to be a common thing.