CEL Question please!!

doubleA

New member
2008 4runner V8

So this morning I start the engine and the check engine light stays on, and VSC lights are on... I go to Autozone, the codes indicate a evap leak I think. The gas cap appears on correctly... I assume I can not fix this one myself? The guy at the autozone mentioned something about using nitrogen to find the leak. Sucks, just bough this.

I found some threads that stated the leak test... any advice?
 
Register to hide this ad
2008 4runner V8

So this morning I start the engine and the check engine light stays on, and VSC lights are on... I go to Autozone, the codes indicate a evap leak I think. The gas cap appears on correctly... I assume I can not fix this one myself? The guy at the autozone mentioned something about using nitrogen to find the leak. Sucks, just bough this.

I found some threads that stated the leak test... any advice?

I got the same message on mine. The gas cap seemed fine to me but I replaced it anyway and it was fixed. Hard to tell until you try it.
 
code in P0456, should i try a gas cap repalcement?
clear the code aND SEE IF IT COMES BACK

I'd go with the above suggestion, clear the DTCs and make sure the gas cap is tight; if its an issue it will set the same DTC again. In which case you'll need a new gas cap and/or diagnostic testing of the EVAP system, otherwise you'll be good.

Sometimes a P0456 can be set from a barely loose gas cap, so I wouldn't worry to much unless it comes back, then we can go from there.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,384
Messages
3,554,584
Members
248,078
Latest member
Talyn

Trending content

Back
Top