coulter6
New member
CTEK D250S dual charger & dual battery install.
I really like the CTEK D250S DUAL charger and the way it will charge your service battery and maintain the starting battery. The stock alternator is not set up to charge a deep cycle battery. You'll get some charging, but eventually the deep cycle will not be able to maintain a charge. They must be maintained by an external charger of some type. CTEK propaganda: “The D250S DUAL charger obtains its energy from DC sources such as alternators, solar panels or wind power and optimises this power to meet the charging requirements of different battery banks. The D250S DUAL automatically selects the best connected DC energy source (of 2) for the purpose and switches between these energy sources to achieve high efficiency multi-stage charging. “
I run a Norcold MRFT40 fridge and needed a way to keep the battery charged when on the road. Decided on the CTEK D250S DUAL charger that uses the truck’s alternator and external solar. I ran a dedicated 8ga wire to the back of the truck and put in a 12v plug. Put in a dual battery system. Finally, I bought the Renogy 100W solar suit case from the group buy.
Here’s the detail:
I have a 2015 so I had to deal with the smog pump. I bought a relocation kit from [MENTION=96749]enginerd4ni[/MENTION] here on the site. This is a substantial bracket! Thanks enginerd4ni for the chance to install it.
Installed:
Bud Built Dual Battery Tray installed:
Battery installed.
I ran an ARB wiring kit (8ga wire) from the second battery to the driver rear. Removing the kick plates weren't to bad, although I did buy a simple panel removal tool kit to make it easier.
Working the wire though:
I didn't get a pic of the center kick panel between the driver front door and rear door, but you'll need to removal the seat belt bolt to get the panel off. Not a big deal.
The forward kick plate; you can see the bolt to the right of the wires that secures the panel.
Where the wire goes through the rubber grommet from the engine side. I put wire loom on each side of the firewall. At first I was going to run a single 8ga wire (shown here) and ground the plugs to the frame at the end, but decided to use the ARB dual wire kit to have a ground directly to the battery.
I used a Blue Sea fuse box to complete the run. You can see the dual ARB 8ga wires here.
Wire through the engine compartment. I ran out of black loom and had to use blue. Brightens up the compartment don't you think.
I really like the CTEK D250S DUAL charger and the way it will charge your service battery and maintain the starting battery. The stock alternator is not set up to charge a deep cycle battery. You'll get some charging, but eventually the deep cycle will not be able to maintain a charge. They must be maintained by an external charger of some type. CTEK propaganda: “The D250S DUAL charger obtains its energy from DC sources such as alternators, solar panels or wind power and optimises this power to meet the charging requirements of different battery banks. The D250S DUAL automatically selects the best connected DC energy source (of 2) for the purpose and switches between these energy sources to achieve high efficiency multi-stage charging. “
I run a Norcold MRFT40 fridge and needed a way to keep the battery charged when on the road. Decided on the CTEK D250S DUAL charger that uses the truck’s alternator and external solar. I ran a dedicated 8ga wire to the back of the truck and put in a 12v plug. Put in a dual battery system. Finally, I bought the Renogy 100W solar suit case from the group buy.
Here’s the detail:
I have a 2015 so I had to deal with the smog pump. I bought a relocation kit from [MENTION=96749]enginerd4ni[/MENTION] here on the site. This is a substantial bracket! Thanks enginerd4ni for the chance to install it.
Installed:
Bud Built Dual Battery Tray installed:
Battery installed.
I ran an ARB wiring kit (8ga wire) from the second battery to the driver rear. Removing the kick plates weren't to bad, although I did buy a simple panel removal tool kit to make it easier.
Working the wire though:
I didn't get a pic of the center kick panel between the driver front door and rear door, but you'll need to removal the seat belt bolt to get the panel off. Not a big deal.
The forward kick plate; you can see the bolt to the right of the wires that secures the panel.
Where the wire goes through the rubber grommet from the engine side. I put wire loom on each side of the firewall. At first I was going to run a single 8ga wire (shown here) and ground the plugs to the frame at the end, but decided to use the ARB dual wire kit to have a ground directly to the battery.
I used a Blue Sea fuse box to complete the run. You can see the dual ARB 8ga wires here.
Wire through the engine compartment. I ran out of black loom and had to use blue. Brightens up the compartment don't you think.
Last edited: