I vote for more overdubbing on videos :trophy:
Do you get sponsorships for tools now?
No sponsorships yet. I have used our channel as leverage when a tool broke and the company was going to charge me for a replacement because it was outside the warranty. OTC was one of the companies I called and I basically said something like this, "Here's the deal. We do a ton of free advertising for you guys via our YouTube channel. I normally don't ask for special treatment from companies but I know for a fact our videos have inspired a lot of sales for your tools. So, could you see your way to replacing the tool free for me?" And, they did replace the tool for free for me.
For the coming party, Sean and I thought it would be cool to get some tool donations from our favorite tool companies for the free raffle. We hit up Bosch who owns OTC, Apex Tool Group that owns Gear Wrench, Stanley Black & Decker that owns Dewalt, and Techtronic Industries that owns Milwaukee. So far, the only promising one has been Gear Wrench, but since I filled out the sponsorship form request, I haven't heard anything.
We are still small potatoes as YouTube channels go, but I know our channel is promoting sales for these companies. Maybe as we grow they will see us in another light and want to sponsor us.
You guys have nearly 15k sub's on Youtube and I know many other's on there with less sub's that have some sponsorships going for them. Don't sell yourself short. You seem like a pretty modest dude, but I bet if you pushed some of those companies a bit you could get some sort of sponsorship deal from them. Maybe that's not your thing, which is also good.
Thanks Timmy ! I've been waiting to look into the leak down test and now somebody did it for me.
Maybe we can get you on the rowing team at USC and then your Youtube channel will take off.....that bimbo has 2 million subscribers.
What is wrong with people ?
For a guy that doesn't do this for a living what you did in this video was very complete...I held my breath a few times thinking you were going off the deep end but you just did things a little different than I do...but that's ok...it's good to go over every step just so you know what you did was spot on...I do have one small thing I do once I get the gauge on pumping up the air on TDC is, put a large breaker bar, not ratchet, on the crank bolt and rock the engine back and forth a bit just to find the sweet spot on all the valves being closed...I've found a few psi on most engines and have found some valves not adjusted right too...intake valves are easy to hear through the intake,,,weird sound of hearing one valve close then the other a few degrees after...these cause crazy misfire codes that are very hard to find.
Which made me think the last time I had that was on a GDI engine with the massive charcoal chunk on the valve, made it act like it had a separate cam for that one valve...wonder if the one you have has a valve a little tight in #1...if I remember right the misfire happens 30 minutes of driving so it's pretty hot which is when a tight valve comes out the most...maybe a weak valve spring??...or sticking in the guide.
Thanks Rich. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I think in the future instead of dialing up the pressure on the leak down tester first and then finally hooking up the line into the cylinder, I'll get the cylinder hose hooked up first and then slowly dial up the pressure. I think doing it this way might lessen the chances that the engine will turn over because the pressure gradually increases as opposed to a quick burst of 100 psi pressure into the cylinder.
We actually figured out Greg's issue today. He has crazy movement with his crankshaft. I just posted the video right now. With the gross movement from the crankshaft, I believe it's throwing off the reading the crankshaft position sensor is getting from the timing gear and thus creating the misfire. Greg has had a audible engine knock for 5 years now and it's gotten worse over time. Somebody mentioned the possibility of a bad thrust washer and I'm betting one thrust washer went bad when he first started getting a slight engine knock and then eventually the other one failed. Check out the video and you'll see the crazy play his crankshaft has.
YouTube