I had a dealer send me a picture of the vehicles build sheet w/ the vin, as well as writing the OTD price on the build sheet. Looking at the picture now, has all that info and "$39,551 All Inclusive" and I have the series of texts to verify it.
I ended up getting it slightly cheaper locally, but I felt comfortable with what that dealer did at a distance if I would have gone that route instead. If I were to drive several hours and they wouldn't honor that, I would smear their name all over review sites lol.
I would suggest doing that and putting a $500 refundable down payment to hold it, and going that route.
When you call you need to let them know you are serious and ready to buy, if you tell them you are willing to put a down payment to hold it today and come there and pick it up in the next day or two, if you can agree on a price, then they will know you're serious.
I talked to the dealer I mentioned above on a Thursday, told them pending sale of my truck Saturday, I would be ready to purchase then if my local dealer was unable to match their price. I had already stopped and test drove some stuff locally with a sales guy and really liked the guy (normally I hate a lot of people but this guy was great) so I wanted to give them a chance to earn my business first, and they were able to beat the other price slightly. I could have maybe gone back and forth a bit, but I was content of what I paid and was short a vehicle from selling my truck that day, so time was important.