How much are people paying for the NEW 4Runner?

First time poster but long time lurker.

Between three dealerships I've negotiated a 2017 SR5 Premium 4WD with 3rd row and sunroof to $36,600 +TTL. Each dealership is telling me this is well below their invoice and there is no more room to budge. Thoughts on this price?

I got 4WD, cross bars and running boards, no sunroof, no third row for 35591 plus ttl. sounds like you did well.
 
First time poster but long time lurker.

Between three dealerships I've negotiated a 2017 SR5 Premium 4WD with 3rd row and sunroof to $36,600 +TTL. Each dealership is telling me this is well below their invoice and there is no more room to budge. Thoughts on this price?

Got pretty much same deal (36,400) for Nautical Blue 2017 SR5 Premium w/o 3rd row. Got sunroof, cargo cover, all weather floor mats.
 
Thanks! Was that + TTL?

I feel like it is a pretty good price, but I always hate leaving something on the table. I was really trying to get just under $36k, but maybe that is not realistic. Perhaps I'll ask them to throw in all-season mats and close the deal.

Yes, that was before TTL. Came out to a little over 41K OTD, California tax is outrageous.
 
Yet again the one we were trying to get got bought. Beginning to think my dealer is going to have to ask for one to be built specifically for them in order for me to get a Red 2017 Off-Road Premium.

The one's within our 1,000 mile radius either don't want to trade or don't even call back.

Bummer. Maybe August? LOL.
 
Yet again the one we were trying to get got bought. Beginning to think my dealer is going to have to ask for one to be built specifically for them in order for me to get a Red 2017 Off-Road Premium.

The one's within our 1,000 mile radius either don't want to trade or don't even call back.

Bummer. Maybe August? LOL.

There's one on Waco.
 
There's one on Waco.

It's honestly not even about finding them, there's a couple here in California we can easily get, along with the few right across the border in Nevada. The issue is nobody is calling them back. The last one actually 'sold' the moment it hit the lot, which I assume means someone already had put something down to reserve it (though it didn't show that in the system).

I don't even know if they'd go as far as TX to get me one. Maybe? I think it's more of a hassle, not sure in what way, but they seem set on 'local.'

I know a few are coming to port in the middle of June, but I'm getting to the point where I think it might be easier just to have them request one be built and hope they approve it, and wait the two-three months, or however long it takes to build, complete at port and ship here, than to keep playing this cat and mouse game with dealers who seem like they aren't interested.

Now maybe they're keeping them being Memorial Day is coming up and they hope they sell a lot then, but otherwise it doesn't look promising to me.

My guys are good and easy to work with thankfully, and I'm sure I'm being impatient too, but I'd rather wait and know something is being built than to wait and hear 'no' a week or so later.

The main guy who does trades is out until Monday so hopefully when he returns he can pull some strings with the other dealers. Right now someone else is doing them, but I'm not sure what all he knows or how good he is.
 
It's honestly not even about finding them, there's a couple here in California we can easily get, along with the few right across the border in Nevada. The issue is nobody is calling them back. The last one actually 'sold' the moment it hit the lot, which I assume means someone already had put something down to reserve it (though it didn't show that in the system).

I don't even know if they'd go as far as TX to get me one. Maybe? I think it's more of a hassle, not sure in what way, but they seem set on 'local.'

I know a few are coming to port in the middle of June, but I'm getting to the point where I think it might be easier just to have them request one be built and hope they approve it, and wait the two-three months, or however long it takes to build, complete at port and ship here, than to keep playing this cat and mouse game with dealers who seem like they aren't interested.

Now maybe they're keeping them being Memorial Day is coming up and they hope they sell a lot then, but otherwise it doesn't look promising to me.

My guys are good and easy to work with thankfully, and I'm sure I'm being impatient too, but I'd rather wait and know something is being built than to wait and hear 'no' a week or so later.

The main guy who does trades is out until Monday so hopefully when he returns he can pull some strings with the other dealers. Right now someone else is doing them, but I'm not sure what all he knows or how good he is.

Why not call the dealer in Waco and see what they can do? I recently purchased a TRD Off Road premium and a non local dealer wouldn't leave me alone about trying to earn my business after first contacting them. They even gave me an out the door price of 39.5k in writing/signed by them with very little negotiations. Maybe you don't sound serious enough to actually make a purchase? Try telling them you are willing to make the purchase today. If they think you're a tire kicker trying to shop a million dealerships then they won't give you the attention you want.
 
Why not call the dealer in Waco and see what they can do? I recently purchased a TRD Off Road premium and a non local dealer wouldn't leave me alone about trying to earn my business after first contacting them. They even gave me an out the door price of 39.5k in writing/signed by them with very little negotiations. Maybe you don't sound serious enough to actually make a purchase? Try telling them you are willing to make the purchase today. If they think you're a tire kicker trying to shop a million dealerships then they won't give you the attention you want.

They know I'm serious, especially with what I'm willing to put down (granted I know that's more impressive to banks than the dealer). With that said we're getting a pretty good deal without negotiating due to knowing a mutual friend. The issue is just getting the car.

I suppose I could ask around, but the issue for me is the taxes being I'm going to get hit twice by them. They'd have to be willing to go pretty low in order for me to not have to pay 7K or so in total taxes, if not more depending on the state I'm buying from. I'm getting hit with around $3,500 here in CA. Of course there's going to be a transport fee too I'm sure.

Just seems like less of a headache if I wait. While I want the car today, I honestly don't need it today. I'll look around though, never hurts to ask.
 
They know I'm serious, especially with what I'm willing to put down (granted I know that's more impressive to banks than the dealer). With that said we're getting a pretty good deal without negotiating due to knowing a mutual friend. The issue is just getting the car.

I suppose I could ask around, but the issue for me is the taxes being I'm going to get hit twice by them. They'd have to be willing to go pretty low in order for me to not have to pay 7K or so in total taxes, if not more depending on the state I'm buying from. I'm getting hit with around $3,500 here in CA. Of course there's going to be a transport fee too I'm sure.

Just seems like less of a headache if I wait. While I want the car today, I honestly don't need it today. I'll look around though, never hurts to ask.

Hmm - you generally only pay taxes in the state in which you register the vehicle, regardless of where you purchase the vehicle. If you buy in TX and register in Missouri, for example, you just pay taxes in Missouri. At least that has been my experience.
 
Hmm - you generally only pay taxes in the state in which you register the vehicle, regardless of where you purchase the vehicle. If you buy in TX and register in Missouri, for example, you just pay taxes in Missouri. At least that has been my experience.

I might have it wrong of course. Definitely a possibility. I thought you'd still pay their taxes and then here too. Maybe someone can back up what you said. I always heard it was twice.
 
I might have it wrong of course. Definitely a possibility. I thought you'd still pay their taxes and then here too. Maybe someone can back up what you said. I always heard it was twice.

Depending on the state reciprocity laws you either will pay taxes in the locale you purchased then Califonia will give you a credit of those taxes towards the California tax amount if it is more, or the state you purchased in will not charge tax and you pay in the state you register. With the latter scenario the dealer sometimes will not deliver you the car in that jurisdiction if you dont pay taxes there becasue they will deem it an out of state transaction, they make you tow or ship it out. But you will not pay taxeses in full in both places.
 
I might have it wrong of course. Definitely a possibility. I thought you'd still pay their taxes and then here too. Maybe someone can back up what you said. I always heard it was twice.

Definitely only in one state. Just went through that. I'm a Texas resident but bought in South Carolina. Any more hold ups?
 
Definitely only in one state. Just went through that. I'm a Texas resident but bought in South Carolina. Any more hold ups?

Yeah that's good to know. Seems I've been given some incorrect information, but as always you all are here to clear that up.

I talked to my dealer earlier. They didn't say how many, but they did say 'some' were willing to trade, but because they don't have an Off-Road to give in return they wouldn't do it. So still where I was at earlier.

I messaged the one dealer that has closest to the setup I like and they were easy to talk with for the most part. I'm waiting for a call from a sales manager and hopefully I can get this all done within the next few days.
 
Yeah that's good to know. Seems I've been given some incorrect information, but as always you all are here to clear that up.

I talked to my dealer earlier. They didn't say how many, but they did say 'some' were willing to trade, but because they don't have an Off-Road to give in return they wouldn't do it. So still where I was at earlier.

I messaged the one dealer that has closest to the setup I like and they were easy to talk with for the most part. I'm waiting for a call from a sales manager and hopefully I can get this all done within the next few days.

What about the dealer in Waco? Shipping that vehicle would be 500-1000 max, and Texas you'll likely pay way less for what they want in California..
 
What about the dealer in Waco? Shipping that vehicle would be 500-1000 max, and Texas you'll likely pay way less for what they want in California..

Waiting for a reply from the one here. They were about 3K from what I was quoted. Told him I had the money to put down and can be there Sunday to get it. He said he'd have to talk to his manager and he'd call me back in 10min. It's been an hour now. Not sure if that's a bad sign of if they just got caught up.

Regardless I'm not calling back and making myself seem desperate.

If that fails I'll see what Texas can do, but I'd assume they wouldn't do much knowing I'm from out of state.
 
Waiting for a reply from the one here. They were about 3K from what I was quoted. Told him I had the money to put down and can be there Sunday to get it. He said he'd have to talk to his manager and he'd call me back in 10min. It's been an hour now. Not sure if that's a bad sign of if they just got caught up.

Regardless I'm not calling back and making myself seem desperate.

If that fails I'll see what Texas can do, but I'd assume they wouldn't do much knowing I'm from out of state.

If they are nearby you'd be 1000x better off going in and talking to them so they know you're actually serious. If you go in there, you should easily be able to make a deal on the spot, or they will not be able to come to a price you want, it'll save you all the cat and mouse. The phone can't work, but especially if a place knows you're local they are probably going to assume you aren't as serious if you can't come by to talk to them.
 
If they are nearby you'd be 1000x better off going in and talking to them so they know you're actually serious. If you go in there, you should easily be able to make a deal on the spot, or they will not be able to come to a price you want, it'll save you all the cat and mouse. The phone can't work, but especially if a place knows you're local they are probably going to assume you aren't as serious if you can't come by to talk to them.

They're further south. About 5 hours. I'm going to call them here in a bit and let them know I'm serious and don't like being blown off. In a somewhat polite way of course.

If they agree what's the best thing? Put a payment down to lock it and have in writing the deal so they can't screw me? Don't want to go down there and have them change everything on me. Would be ready to snap a neck.
 
They're further south. About 5 hours. I'm going to call them here in a bit and let them know I'm serious and don't like being blown off. In a somewhat polite way of course.

If they agree what's the best thing? Put a payment down to lock it and have in writing the deal so they can't screw me? Don't want to go down there and have them change everything on me. Would be ready to snap a neck.

I had a dealer send me a picture of the vehicles build sheet w/ the vin, as well as writing the OTD price on the build sheet. Looking at the picture now, has all that info and "$39,551 All Inclusive" and I have the series of texts to verify it.

I ended up getting it slightly cheaper locally, but I felt comfortable with what that dealer did at a distance if I would have gone that route instead. If I were to drive several hours and they wouldn't honor that, I would smear their name all over review sites lol.

I would suggest doing that and putting a $500 refundable down payment to hold it, and going that route.

When you call you need to let them know you are serious and ready to buy, if you tell them you are willing to put a down payment to hold it today and come there and pick it up in the next day or two, if you can agree on a price, then they will know you're serious.

I talked to the dealer I mentioned above on a Thursday, told them pending sale of my truck Saturday, I would be ready to purchase then if my local dealer was unable to match their price. I had already stopped and test drove some stuff locally with a sales guy and really liked the guy (normally I hate a lot of people but this guy was great) so I wanted to give them a chance to earn my business first, and they were able to beat the other price slightly. I could have maybe gone back and forth a bit, but I was content of what I paid and was short a vehicle from selling my truck that day, so time was important.
 
Last edited:
I had a dealer send me a picture of the vehicles build sheet w/ the vin, as well as writing the OTD price on the build sheet. Looking at the picture now, has all that info and "$39,551 All Inclusive" and I have the series of texts to verify it.

I ended up getting it slightly cheaper locally, but I felt comfortable with what that dealer did at a distance if I would have gone that route instead. If I were to drive several hours and they wouldn't honor that, I would smear their name all over review sites lol.

I would suggest doing that and putting a $500 refundable down payment to hold it, and going that route.

When you call you need to let them know you are serious and ready to buy, if you tell them you are willing to put a down payment to hold it today and come there and pick it up in the next day or two, if you can agree on a price, then they will know you're serious.

I talked to the dealer I mentioned above on a Thursday, told them pending sale of my truck Saturday, I would be ready to purchase then if my local dealer was unable to match their price. I had already stopped and test drove some stuff locally with a sales guy and really liked the guy (normally I hate a lot of people but this guy was great) so I wanted to give them a chance to earn my business first, and they were able to beat the other price slightly. I could have maybe gone back and forth a bit, but I was content of what I paid and was short a vehicle from selling my truck that day, so time was important.

Sounds like I've done everything correct then, or am planning too. When I called my guy was talking with a customer so that could explain why he never called back (unless they're BSing me).

If agreed my plan was to have everything written and signed, and then I'd put a payment on it.

Just waiting for a call, they close in an hour and a half. May try one more time around 45min before closing to see what's going on.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,317
Messages
3,554,129
Members
248,016
Latest member
Advally Service

Trending content

Back
Top