Replacing clutch questions

central8-23

New member
So I have a 98 4 runner 3.4 and I'm going to be replacing the clutch here soon.
I have a couple questions
1. What clutch should I go with. I plan on wheeling my 4 runner.
2. Since I have to pull the tranny what stuff should I replace while its off. (I plan on replacing the rear main seal)
3. My 4 runner has 218,000 miles on it and unknow service record before 155,000.
 
Register to hide this ad
So I have a 98 4 runner 3.4 and I'm going to be replacing the clutch here soon.
I have a couple questions
1. What clutch should I go with. I plan on wheeling my 4 runner.
2. Since I have to pull the tranny what stuff should I replace while its off. (I plan on replacing the rear main seal)
3. My 4 runner has 218,000 miles on it and unknow service record before 155,000.

I did this in August so it's relatively fresh in my memory. I went with an OEM Aisin clutch from WabFab, along with a new clutch shift boot and shifter bushings from Marlin. In retrospect, I wish I had gotten everything from Marlin and also went with a HD clutch. Marlin was easier to deal with from a customer service standpoint. I replaced the rear main seal while I was there but that was it. I would make sure you have a full set of extensions (at least 36") and a torque wrench. I also used the cheap tranny jack from Harbor Freight. It got the job done but wasn't pretty. I wish I had bought a better one.

If you've never done this before then I would recommend setting aside a full weekend to do it and have a friend around to help you.
 
I'm leaning towards the marlin 1200lb clutch. Anyone have any advice what else I should consider to replace while the tranny is out other than rear main.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,383
Messages
3,554,578
Members
248,076
Latest member
DionicioLives

Trending content

Back
Top