Which Starter for my 4Runner?

acr_ted

New member
Hi all,

I need to replace the starter on my 1997 4Runner SR5 4WD Auto - and I see there are 2 starters listed - 1.4 kw and 1.8 kw. Even after inputting the info for the truck on a parts website it still shows the 2 different units.

Which one or does it matter?

Thanks!

Ted
 
Register to hide this ad
The plugs are the same and they bolt in the same place - just get the bigger one. Just make sure you get a Denso rebuilt by Denso - most/all other options at parts stores (or RockAuto) will be sub par.

-Charlie
 
I got the 1.8kW...rebuilt by Denso. 1 year ago, no problems. It cranks faster and with more verve and élan than the dying original starter that it replaced.
 
I think I should probably have one on hand. I haven't looked for a TTT&S video but I have picked up along the way that it can be a bit of a b*tch to swap depending on the method. What would the best approach be for a trailside job?

The world could always us a little more verve and élan
 
Last edited:
I got the 1.8kW...rebuilt by Denso. 1 year ago, no problems. It cranks faster and with more verve and élan than the dying original starter that it replaced.

Thanks for the info ... and I plan to get the new starter from Camelback Toyota so I assume the starter is a Denso rebuilt.

Ted
 
There's a very good chance all your starter needs is a new set of contacts and a plunger for the solenoid. If you haven't already purchased it, you should rethink your decision. Watch my video to see how to service the solenoid.

 
I would get the larger one and yes on denso. and I think rock auto still sells the denso. THe bigger one is indeed bigger in size so dont be alarmed when you pull your old one out and notice a slight difference. I live in a very cold climate so went with the bigger one.

As timmy said it could just need a simple rebuild and they and are alternators can often be saved with a quick rebuild.
However I went with a rebuilt as I had one shot to do it, in a borrowed garage ( for one day) and middle of winter
 
1.8kw is what i have used with no issues. i try to get OEM toyota on alternators and starters because of so many junk rebuilds i have had in the past
 
Thanks again for all of the info...I ended up getting the rebuilt Denso starter from Big 2 in Chandler....they came close to matching Camelback and it was a lot shorter drive for me.

I decided on a complete unit instead of replacing the contacts simply account I am now 77 and I would rather just R&R the unit and not worry about doing something wrong and then having to remove the unit and try again.

It took my neighbor and I about 1 1/2 hours total time - not bad seeing as how it is a very tight fit. The youtube videos helped and as others said, the new starter does turn over quicker. It seemed to be the same physical size which was something I was concerned about, but it fit right in.

This was only the 3rd major item I've had to replace since I bought the truck new in May 1998. A new radiator (and with a separate transmission oil cooler), lower ball joints and now the starter. Not bad for a car that is almost 30 years old, albeit with only 113317 miles on it.

Ted
 

Forum statistics

Threads
278,380
Messages
3,554,538
Members
248,082
Latest member
tuṣṭāva

Trending content

Back
Top