User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 12:11 AM #1
Saker's Avatar
Saker Saker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Near Baton Rouge, LA
Age: 66
Posts: 3,007
Saker has a spectacular aura about Saker has a spectacular aura about Saker has a spectacular aura about
Saker Saker is offline
Senior Member
Saker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Near Baton Rouge, LA
Age: 66
Posts: 3,007
Saker has a spectacular aura about Saker has a spectacular aura about Saker has a spectacular aura about
Drivers Side “A” Pillar Grip Handle Installed on 2014 T4R

Driver Side "A" Pillar Grip Handle Install on a 2014+ T4R

The purpose of this write-up is to help people that are interested in installing a Driver Side "A" Pillar Grip Handle on their 2014+ Toyota 4Runner. I will list the parts used as well as pictures.

Disclaimer:
I am not an engineer, so doing this mod, you and only you take responsibility if something goes wrong. Period!

This Mod is obviously not for everyone, but if you ever owned an FJC or another vehicle that had a Grip Handle in this location, it may be for you.


This mod topic has been discussed in several threads.
I even participated in some of these stating it couldn't be done..... Well, it appears I was wrong!

I cannot and will not take credit for developing this improvement/mod.
All credit goes to Jason!

I saw some photos on Facebook pages recently and reached out to the owner of the photos to track the designer and maker of the kit that will allow us to install the Driver Side "A" Pillar Grip Handle.

So, I reached out to @Jasontamu who's photo is at the link: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/2676265-post24192.html , he makes the kit and sells them! I don't know if he follows the forums.
He is an engineer for Boeing and works full time, and travels as well for his job.
He makes these in his spare time, so sometimes he has some on hand, other times he has to manufacture them. So, remember that when you order one.

The Kit comes with custom bracket that you mount to the "A" Pillar of your vehicle using two self-tapping sheet metal screws. He provides a paper template that helps you line it up and step by step photo instructions printed out.

Jason states, "No one has had any trouble installing so far. I sold about 80 of them so far.
You have to remove the cover plate on the A-pillar that says "SRS curtain Air bag" under there is a bolt and the top of the handle mounts there. the bracket mounts at the bottom location to attach the handle there.

I provide the hardware, but you need to go to your local Toyota dealer and get the handle."

Grey Interior Part Numbers you will need to get either locally or on line is:

Grip Handle Part #: 74680-60010-B0
Grip Handle Hole Cover Part #: 74615-60040-B0
Grip Handle Hole Cover Part #: 74616-60040-B0


Jason is out of town working currently, and will be back on May 13, 2019 and asked me to hold off posting his contact info until then.

Ok, Since JASON responded, I’ll post his info here in the first post.


Contact him by PM and /or email.
Jasontamu
Jasontamu2002@gmail.com
I installed this mod and I can tell you it is very strong and feel comfortable it will not fail!

Drivers Side "A" Pillar Grip Handle Bracket


Drivers Side "A" Pillar Grip Handle Trimmed


Drivers Side "A" Pillar Grip Handle Trim


"A" Pillar Grip Handle Installed
__________________
Best Regards,
Saker


2014 T4R *BLACK* SR5 PREMIUM 4X4 | Saker’s Midnight Build | Scuba Mod | LED LIGHT BAR INSTALL | Disabled DRL Easily | Saker's EBRs Photos Updated 05-21-16| Saker's Previous 2013 FJ TT/SE

Last edited by Saker; 05-05-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Saker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:14 AM #2
mbumpus11's Avatar
mbumpus11 mbumpus11 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: HTX
Posts: 293
Real Name: Bump
mbumpus11 will become famous soon enough mbumpus11 will become famous soon enough
mbumpus11 mbumpus11 is offline
Member
mbumpus11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: HTX
Posts: 293
Real Name: Bump
mbumpus11 will become famous soon enough mbumpus11 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saker View Post
Driver Side "A" Pillar Grip Handle Install on a 2014+ T4R



The purpose of this write-up is to help people that are interested in installing a Driver Side "A" Pillar Grip Handle on their 2014+ Toyota 4Runner. I will list the parts used as well as pictures.



Disclaimer:
I am not an engineer, so doing this mod, you and only you take responsibility if something goes wrong. Period!



This Mod is obviously not for everyone, but if you ever owned an FJC or another vehicle that had a Grip Handle in this location, it may be for you.





This mod topic has been discussed in several threads.

I even participated in some of these stating it couldn't be done..... Well, it appears I was wrong!



I cannot and will not take credit for developing this improvement/mod.

All credit goes to Jason!



I saw some photos on Facebook pages recently and reached out to the owner of the photos to track the designer and maker of the kit that will allow us to install the Driver Side "A" Pillar Grip Handle.



So, I reached out to @Jasontamu who's photo is at the link: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/2676265-post24192.html , he makes the kit and sells them! I don't know if he follows the forums.

He is an engineer for Boeing and works full time, and travels as well for his job.

He makes these in his spare time, so sometimes he has some on hand, other times he has to manufacture them. So, remember that when you order one.



The Kit comes with custom bracket that you mount to the "A" Pillar of your vehicle using two self-tapping sheet metal screws. He provides a paper template that helps you line it up and step by step photo instructions printed out.



Jason states, "No one has had any trouble installing so far. I sold about 80 of them so far.

You have to remove the cover plate on the A-pillar that says "SRS curtain Air bag" under there is a bolt and the top of the handle mounts there. the bracket mounts at the bottom location to attach the handle there.



I provide the hardware, but you need to go to your local Toyota dealer and get the handle."



Grey Interior Part Numbers you will need to get either locally or on line is:



Grip Handle Part #: 74680-60010-B0

Grip Handle Hole Cover Part #: 74615-60040-B0

Grip Handle Hole Cover Part #: 74616-60040-B0





Jason is out of town working currently, and will be back on May 13, 2019 and asked me to hold off posting his contact info until then.



Please check back for the updated information on this first post for his contact info.





I installed this mod and I can tell you it is very strong and feel comfortable it will not fail!


Can’t see pics, but dang I’m intrigued!!! Want to see, bad!
__________________
2015 Magnetic Gray Trail Premium - Build Thread: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...ight=mbumpus11 <<<--- click that to see what I've done
mbumpus11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:28 AM #3
fixer5000 fixer5000 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 69
Real Name: steve
fixer5000 is on a distinguished road
fixer5000 fixer5000 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 69
Real Name: steve
fixer5000 is on a distinguished road
i have jasons kit. one of these days ill get around to installing it.
__________________
" GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "
fixer5000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:47 AM #4
WAT4R's Avatar
WAT4R WAT4R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 106
WAT4R will become famous soon enough
WAT4R WAT4R is offline
Member
WAT4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 106
WAT4R will become famous soon enough
@Saker - Thank you for sharing! I've replaced all 4 OE grab handles with the FJ handles and this driver's side A pillar mod will finish everything off nicely. Not to mention it's the one that will be most useful! I still shake my head and roll my eyes at Toyota for not putting one there.
__________________
2018 CSM TRD OR, RSG sliders.
WAT4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:54 AM #5
Saker's Avatar
Saker Saker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Near Baton Rouge, LA
Age: 66
Posts: 3,007
Saker has a spectacular aura about Saker has a spectacular aura about Saker has a spectacular aura about
Saker Saker is offline
Senior Member
Saker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Near Baton Rouge, LA
Age: 66
Posts: 3,007
Saker has a spectacular aura about Saker has a spectacular aura about Saker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAT4R View Post
@Saker - Thank you for sharing! I've replaced all 4 OE grab handles with the FJ handles and this driver's side A pillar mod will finish everything off nicely. Not to mention it's the one that will be most useful! I still shake my head and roll my eyes at Toyota for not putting one there.
Just curious, did you use one of the processes in my other write-up?
Hate to redirect this thread :/
__________________
Best Regards,
Saker


2014 T4R *BLACK* SR5 PREMIUM 4X4 | Saker’s Midnight Build | Scuba Mod | LED LIGHT BAR INSTALL | Disabled DRL Easily | Saker's EBRs Photos Updated 05-21-16| Saker's Previous 2013 FJ TT/SE
Saker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:57 AM #6
WAT4R's Avatar
WAT4R WAT4R is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 106
WAT4R will become famous soon enough
WAT4R WAT4R is offline
Member
WAT4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 106
WAT4R will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saker View Post
Just curious, did you use one of the processes in my other write-up?
Hate to redirect this thread :/
Your write up gave me the idea to use a similar but different method using 80/20 T-slot nut rather than riv nut. So yes... and no. I added to your post with my method.
__________________
2018 CSM TRD OR, RSG sliders.

Last edited by WAT4R; 05-04-2019 at 11:04 AM. Reason: further explanation
WAT4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:02 AM #7
Saker's Avatar
Saker Saker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Near Baton Rouge, LA
Age: 66
Posts: 3,007
Saker has a spectacular aura about Saker has a spectacular aura about Saker has a spectacular aura about
Saker Saker is offline
Senior Member
Saker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Near Baton Rouge, LA
Age: 66
Posts: 3,007
Saker has a spectacular aura about Saker has a spectacular aura about Saker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAT4R View Post
Your write up gave me the idea to use a similar but different method using 80/20 T-slot nut rather than riv nut. So yes... and no.
Great

Back on topic!
__________________
Best Regards,
Saker


2014 T4R *BLACK* SR5 PREMIUM 4X4 | Saker’s Midnight Build | Scuba Mod | LED LIGHT BAR INSTALL | Disabled DRL Easily | Saker's EBRs Photos Updated 05-21-16| Saker's Previous 2013 FJ TT/SE
Saker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:28 PM #8
bleaches's Avatar
bleaches bleaches is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 143
bleaches is on a distinguished road
bleaches bleaches is offline
Member
bleaches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 143
bleaches is on a distinguished road
Tagged for more info when it's posted
__________________
2015 TE Tinman Build thread
bleaches is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:48 PM #9
pumacat24's Avatar
pumacat24 pumacat24 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Age: 33
Posts: 215
pumacat24 will become famous soon enough pumacat24 will become famous soon enough
pumacat24 pumacat24 is offline
Member
pumacat24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Age: 33
Posts: 215
pumacat24 will become famous soon enough pumacat24 will become famous soon enough
I'm in for the contact info when he's back, I miss that feature from my 4th gen.

Short people problems. Eh.
__________________
2019 TRD Pro | Super White | Morimoto 2.0/XD Xtreme Pro w/DRL | RSG Sliders | Falken Wildpeak AT3/W | CTX Tint
past: '18 4Runner TRD ORP... RIP, Kaiyo!
'07 4Runner SE... SOLD
'02 4Runner SR5 4WD... SOLD
pumacat24 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:21 PM #10
robkh1984 robkh1984 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 80
robkh1984 is on a distinguished road
robkh1984 robkh1984 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 80
robkh1984 is on a distinguished road
I'm in too!
robkh1984 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:29 PM #11
The_Green_Wang's Avatar
The_Green_Wang The_Green_Wang is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 457
The_Green_Wang is a jewel in the rough The_Green_Wang is a jewel in the rough The_Green_Wang is a jewel in the rough
The_Green_Wang The_Green_Wang is offline
Member
The_Green_Wang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 457
The_Green_Wang is a jewel in the rough The_Green_Wang is a jewel in the rough The_Green_Wang is a jewel in the rough
Interested!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The_Green_Wang is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:41 PM #12
energie energie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 55
energie is on a distinguished road
energie energie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Posts: 55
energie is on a distinguished road
Interested!
__________________
2017 4Runner TRD Pro - Cement Grey
energie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:07 AM #13
csommers's Avatar
csommers csommers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 56
csommers is on a distinguished road
csommers csommers is offline
Member
csommers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seattle
Posts: 56
csommers is on a distinguished road
Interested in this as well!
__________________
2018 Nautical Blue TRDORP w/KDSS, Dobinsons(F:302/700,R:723/705), Camburg UCA
csommers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:15 AM #14
Techflyer Techflyer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 12
Techflyer is on a distinguished road
Techflyer Techflyer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 12
Techflyer is on a distinguished road
Sub'd
Techflyer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:48 AM #15
Jasontamu Jasontamu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SA TX
Posts: 67
Jasontamu will become famous soon enough
Jasontamu Jasontamu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SA TX
Posts: 67
Jasontamu will become famous soon enough
hi all....thanks for all the interest and im glad everyone likes it.

like saker mentioned im out of town for work...ill return this weekend and next week ill be able to make more with my welder (i believe i only have one more in stock currently) so i can if all goes well have products shipped by Friday next week......just PM me and email is fine as well. Jasontamu2002@g mail.com

i see i have some PM's already so i appreciate that and can make some once im back home.

thanks,
-J

Last edited by Jasontamu; 05-05-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Jasontamu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grip , handle , mod , pillar , side

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Driver side A-pillar Grab handle? Brad2064 5th gen T4Rs 22 05-29-2019 01:14 PM
Driver side a-pillar grab handle? dedonderosa 5th gen T4Rs 30 05-04-2019 02:10 AM
Drivers Side Exterior Door Handle Griswald Classic T4Rs 1 07-11-2017 11:39 AM
Drivers side o shit handle bassmacka 4th Gen T4Rs 8 01-27-2017 11:48 PM
Drivers Side Door/B-Pillar Rattle stamonkey 5th gen T4Rs 3 09-05-2016 12:57 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020