1997 front end creek drivers side

Beneaththewheel

New member
I got a 1997 sr5 about a month ago. Replaced a few things had lower ball joints checked with my mechanic, suspension, etc. Just today I am noticing a creak in the front end while turning. (Video attatched.) in video I am doing a circle in a parking lot. It sounds more like something rattling in the video but in real life it’s more of a creek. I’m still suspicious of the lbj but maybe something might just need lubricant? What do you guys think? Thanks

4Runner creak - YouTube
 
Register to hide this ad
For me it was the upper ball joint, I had a helper turn the wheel back and forth sitting still and found the creak. It's also nearly impossible to check for 0.5mm play in the lower balljoints without a dial indicator. If you don't know how old the LBJ's are change them with OEM parts and sleep well.
 
Last edited:
Mine had a prepurchase inspection done by another party prior to me getting ahold of it. They snoozed too long.

Inspection stated ballpoints good. I changed them out about a month later and they certainly were not good. Don’t take any random mechanics word on this one, this isn’t a standard domestic front end and lots don’t know about our LBJ design issue.
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,383
Messages
3,554,578
Members
248,076
Latest member
DionicioLives

Trending content

Back
Top