Dang it, just replaced mine last week.
Thanks again Tim!
How did the job go for you? Did you have issues getting the trans separated from the engine? We have surmised that the trans input shaft connection to the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft is the culprit making it hard to separate the trans from the motor.
No, I didn't have any trouble there. They just came apart by hand.
I had a hard time getting the alignment right to get it back together though. Finicky process.
Working alone in a nice garage I was about 18 hours from prep to cleanup. I think my least favourite part was removing and installing the driveshafts.
Aaaaaaahhhh yes, I'm pretty sure this will be a project of mine in the future. Thanks for getting this put together! I've referenced many a video of yours when doing repairs on my Runner, you guys do a high quality walkthrough.
I think my clutch is starting to go bad. When I'm in 4th or 5th on the highway and let off on the gas I can smell what I think is the clutch, its similar to what you smell after striking a match. It also sometimes happens when I am driving up a hill too, but the rpms on the tach stay consistent with the speed of the Runner instead of increasing abnormally if I put the gas pedal to the floor. What does that seem like? Bad clutch probably? The valve covers were leaking for a few months when I got it and so maybe a bit of oil got on to the clutch assembly and messed with the functionality.
Also, I drove up to Alaska and back for a seasonal job, all this just started after I got back
Well, it doesn't sound like your clutch is slipping from what you described. How many miles are on the rig?
It's got 203,000 miles on it. The clutch works just fine which is kinda bugging me trying to figure out where this smell comes from. I think I'm just gonna drive it till I know for sure the clutch is slipping and then replace it.
A burning match smell sort of sounds like a catalytic convertor issue?
But a slipping clutch will show up as the revs increasing without a matching increase in vehicle speed. If you persist much you'll get some smoke and a hot brake smell, which doesn't really smell like matches (they tend to smell like sulphur).