NHRunner
New member
There is a steady flow of driveline vibration threads on the forum. Most of the threads that I see involve a vibration somewhere between 60 and 75 mph. The culprit is often times a universal joint or even the double cardan joint.
I had a really bad vibration between 60 and 70. I could barely produce any noticeable play in the rearmost ujoint, but figured I would replace it anyhow.
I used a greasable ujoint from NAPA. Using real Toyota ujoints would probably have been best, but I needed mine in a hurry and it only cost me $19.99. The NAPA ujoint I chose: NAPA AUTO PARTS
The Camelback page with ujoints for a '99 are linked below.
1999 Toyota 4Runner Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping
And linked below are some other good write ups and videos on ujoint replacement. Our ujoints rely on an internal C clip, like the joints in these links.
Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.
JeepWire - Changing Axle Shaft U-Joints
Replace a Driveshaft U-Joint | 2-Minute Tech on PowerNationTV
I started by jacking up the rear end to give myself a little more room to work. Do so safely.
First, unbolt these 4 14mm bolts at the rear pinion flange. I needed to use plenty of PB Blaster and a big pipe on a breaker bar. Air tools would help. I was too lazy to drag the air tools out.
Now you should mark the driveshaft to make sure you can realign the splines when reassembling. If you don't line the shaft back up correctly, then it will very likely leave you with a fun new vibration. I used pencil, permanent marker, and a center punch. The permanent marker and pencil wore off by the time I was done. Just use a center punch and put little dots on the front and rear portions of the shaft.
Now you need to remove the zerk grease fitting that fills the slip joint. This will allow you to compress that shaft and remove it. It's also a good time to press out all of the old grease in the slip joint so that it can be replaced. Don't lose the zerk!
Now, you can pull this portion of the driveshaft.
I cleaned mine up with ~half a can of brake cleaner. Try to keep the inside of these splines clean. You do not want reassemble that with grit in it.
Remove the ujoint zerk, if you have one.
Next, you need to pop out these C-clips with a couple flat screwdrivers. Spin them around on the ujoint to get them into a more workable position. I hammered on one end of the ujoint to relieve some pressure on the clip. This is what they look like:
Now you can begin hammering out the old joint. I started by hitting each bearing cap with PB Blaster. I used an 18mm socket to push one side and a 32mm socket on the receiving side. This job took two people. I held everything in place while my brother hammered. :smash: And don't miss the socket. There may be some consequences to hitting the ear of the shaft with a BFH.
Here is what it looks like once you have pushed the ujoint through one side.
Now you can pull that bearing cap off of the joint. This may require pliers, depending on the condition of the cap/joint. As you can see in the picture, this rusty part is the cause of my vibration.
I had a really bad vibration between 60 and 70. I could barely produce any noticeable play in the rearmost ujoint, but figured I would replace it anyhow.
I used a greasable ujoint from NAPA. Using real Toyota ujoints would probably have been best, but I needed mine in a hurry and it only cost me $19.99. The NAPA ujoint I chose: NAPA AUTO PARTS
The Camelback page with ujoints for a '99 are linked below.
1999 Toyota 4Runner Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping
And linked below are some other good write ups and videos on ujoint replacement. Our ujoints rely on an internal C clip, like the joints in these links.
Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.
JeepWire - Changing Axle Shaft U-Joints
Replace a Driveshaft U-Joint | 2-Minute Tech on PowerNationTV
I started by jacking up the rear end to give myself a little more room to work. Do so safely.
First, unbolt these 4 14mm bolts at the rear pinion flange. I needed to use plenty of PB Blaster and a big pipe on a breaker bar. Air tools would help. I was too lazy to drag the air tools out.
Now you should mark the driveshaft to make sure you can realign the splines when reassembling. If you don't line the shaft back up correctly, then it will very likely leave you with a fun new vibration. I used pencil, permanent marker, and a center punch. The permanent marker and pencil wore off by the time I was done. Just use a center punch and put little dots on the front and rear portions of the shaft.
Now you need to remove the zerk grease fitting that fills the slip joint. This will allow you to compress that shaft and remove it. It's also a good time to press out all of the old grease in the slip joint so that it can be replaced. Don't lose the zerk!
Now, you can pull this portion of the driveshaft.
I cleaned mine up with ~half a can of brake cleaner. Try to keep the inside of these splines clean. You do not want reassemble that with grit in it.
Remove the ujoint zerk, if you have one.
Next, you need to pop out these C-clips with a couple flat screwdrivers. Spin them around on the ujoint to get them into a more workable position. I hammered on one end of the ujoint to relieve some pressure on the clip. This is what they look like:
Now you can begin hammering out the old joint. I started by hitting each bearing cap with PB Blaster. I used an 18mm socket to push one side and a 32mm socket on the receiving side. This job took two people. I held everything in place while my brother hammered. :smash: And don't miss the socket. There may be some consequences to hitting the ear of the shaft with a BFH.
Here is what it looks like once you have pushed the ujoint through one side.
Now you can pull that bearing cap off of the joint. This may require pliers, depending on the condition of the cap/joint. As you can see in the picture, this rusty part is the cause of my vibration.
Last edited: