All,
Recently purchased (early jan 15) an 04 v8 w/ the full-time AWD and Lo / Diff lock TC. During the test drive I got underneath and didn't see any leaks or fluids anywhere and other than a CV boot it passed MD inspection (for those not familiar w/ MD inspections, they are pretty rigorous). I asked the PO how often she used either the diff lock or Lo, and she said that it in the 7-8 years she owned the vehicle she hadn't touched the switch/button. I then drove it off into a field and switched into 4Lo and locked the diff to make sure the actuator wasn't stuck. Both operated and worked as expected. I buy the truck. Yay all is happy!!
Fast forward a few weeks - I start to notice spots under the vehicle and identify them as gear lube drops from the TC actuator. I check the fluid level and end up adding 1/2 a quart. Being the middle of winter (no garage) and not wanting to hear from my wife grief about having to do major work to a car we just bought I decide to try the White Shepard / Blue Devil fix. And what do you know, after about a week or 2 the drops stop. I leave the stuff in for 2 weeks and do a complete drain/fill w/ Valvoline Synthetic and maybe a 1/4 oz of WS (used a meat injector syringe).
Fast forward to now. So it has been 6-8 weeks and I haven't had any major leakage issues. No driveway drops I've checked the fluid every couple of weeks and it's always been full (light dribble comes out of fill plug). I have NOT used either the 4lo or Diff lock since the initial test drive. Fortunately the AWD has worked well enough for wife to get around, and I still have my '99 that we use for heavy stuff.
So, to my question. Now that it looks like the weather should start turning (after we get past this last storm), should I try and use the 4Lo or Center diff lock?
Half of me says "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's not leaking and as it is my wife's DD, I doubt she ever really need either. Worst case scenario if I start messing with it is that the actuator gets stuck or the seals start leaking again.
The other half of me hates knowing that something is wrong and not doing anything about it. Worst case scenario I leave it alone and Murphy's law kicks in and the seals decide to go on their own in the worst possible time, like a long road trip etc.
I've read the write ups and it doesn't look like that complicated of a job. I'm fairly competent mechanically and it looks like if you take your time shouldn't be to difficult. Hardest part might be getting TC on an off w/ my limited tools. I have all the seals - 2 actuator orings (got an extra), 4 shift fork seals from colonial seal (got extras) and 2 new output shaft seals.
I am more concerned about the seals holding than I am the actuator sticking (as long as its stuck unlocked in 4Hi). If it continues to hold fluid but I don't get to use the diff or lo I'm fine with that. Opinions? Should I cycle the actuator and try to keep the gears lubed and seals fresh or leave it alone?
Recently purchased (early jan 15) an 04 v8 w/ the full-time AWD and Lo / Diff lock TC. During the test drive I got underneath and didn't see any leaks or fluids anywhere and other than a CV boot it passed MD inspection (for those not familiar w/ MD inspections, they are pretty rigorous). I asked the PO how often she used either the diff lock or Lo, and she said that it in the 7-8 years she owned the vehicle she hadn't touched the switch/button. I then drove it off into a field and switched into 4Lo and locked the diff to make sure the actuator wasn't stuck. Both operated and worked as expected. I buy the truck. Yay all is happy!!
Fast forward a few weeks - I start to notice spots under the vehicle and identify them as gear lube drops from the TC actuator. I check the fluid level and end up adding 1/2 a quart. Being the middle of winter (no garage) and not wanting to hear from my wife grief about having to do major work to a car we just bought I decide to try the White Shepard / Blue Devil fix. And what do you know, after about a week or 2 the drops stop. I leave the stuff in for 2 weeks and do a complete drain/fill w/ Valvoline Synthetic and maybe a 1/4 oz of WS (used a meat injector syringe).
Fast forward to now. So it has been 6-8 weeks and I haven't had any major leakage issues. No driveway drops I've checked the fluid every couple of weeks and it's always been full (light dribble comes out of fill plug). I have NOT used either the 4lo or Diff lock since the initial test drive. Fortunately the AWD has worked well enough for wife to get around, and I still have my '99 that we use for heavy stuff.
So, to my question. Now that it looks like the weather should start turning (after we get past this last storm), should I try and use the 4Lo or Center diff lock?
Half of me says "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's not leaking and as it is my wife's DD, I doubt she ever really need either. Worst case scenario if I start messing with it is that the actuator gets stuck or the seals start leaking again.
The other half of me hates knowing that something is wrong and not doing anything about it. Worst case scenario I leave it alone and Murphy's law kicks in and the seals decide to go on their own in the worst possible time, like a long road trip etc.
I've read the write ups and it doesn't look like that complicated of a job. I'm fairly competent mechanically and it looks like if you take your time shouldn't be to difficult. Hardest part might be getting TC on an off w/ my limited tools. I have all the seals - 2 actuator orings (got an extra), 4 shift fork seals from colonial seal (got extras) and 2 new output shaft seals.
I am more concerned about the seals holding than I am the actuator sticking (as long as its stuck unlocked in 4Hi). If it continues to hold fluid but I don't get to use the diff or lo I'm fine with that. Opinions? Should I cycle the actuator and try to keep the gears lubed and seals fresh or leave it alone?