Excellent video Tim. I don't really have the proper space (or time) to do this job. Wouldn't it be better suited for me to take my 4runner to Toyota when the time comes?
Toyota dealers charge a lot for their time. I think you might be shocked what a Toyota dealership would bill for this. If I were going to pay for the job, I'd try to find an independent shop with good reviews that charges a more reasonable hourly rate. The hourly rate for my local Toyota dealer is $200/hour.
Good point on that. I'd have to take a look around, I'm more than capable of doing the work but I don't have another vehicle than my 4runner so problems tend to become burdensome quick. I suppose I could try and source some knuckles from a junk yard and do the work before hand and swap them in.
After watching your video I wanted to send you a link to Amazon for "Safety Wire Pliers". I used then when racing motorcycles. AMA requires any bolt with fluid behind it to be safety wire locked along with a few other critical bolts. The pliers are designed to put that factory twist in ball joint boot wire. I have the OTC 4795 Safety Wire Twist Pliers and can't say anything bad about them.
Has anyone ever found a replacement for OTC 6733?
In this video: YouTube at 2:03 Toyota seems to really mean to have reference the use of sockets, but what sockets? (Yes yes, i know the video is for a Tacoma but it should be the same)
Does the FSM for the 4runner say the same thing?
I saw you messaged me regarding this question. A deep socket is not going to work because it's not tall enough. I tried slipping a 28mm deep impact socket over a used upper balljoint and the balljoint spindle bottoms out inside the socket before the open end of the socket comes in contact with the base of the balljoint.
It would sorta appear to me that the guy in post #37 found some sockets to press in, but I'm not so sure about pressing it out (if they were sockets). My control arms ran out of adjustment for caster with my lift so I need to pull out these new ball joints and would rather not destroy them by cutting them. A 40 dollar press out tool seems costly and at that point I'll just cut them like before.
upper ball joint HElP ME!
I have a few ideas of what might work and if I get something to work I'll post back. Gotta love how Toyota left off some important information of what they used in the FSM to press it out.
A quick test with a 1" inch socket drive appears to allow enough room for the ball joint spindle, its certainly possible a 3/4" would work as well. Seems like if you have a 27mm 3/4" drive socket you should be able to get something to fit over and press.
Yeah, I posted the pictures over in that other thread back in 2015 using my press and sockets to remove/install the UBJs.
For removing the old ball joint, a 3/4" deep socket worked. Just pressing against the arbor plates.
Like so:
![]()
Then some large 3/4" drive 1 5/8" & 1 7/16" deep sockets for pressing a new one in:
![]()
It would sorta appear to me that the guy in post #37 found some sockets to press in, but I'm not so sure about pressing it out (if they were sockets). My control arms ran out of adjustment for caster with my lift so I need to pull out these new ball joints and would rather not destroy them by cutting them. A 40 dollar press out tool seems costly and at that point I'll just cut them like before.
upper ball joint HElP ME!
I have a few ideas of what might work and if I get something to work I'll post back. Gotta love how Toyota left off some important information of what they used in the FSM to press it out.
A quick test with a 1" inch socket drive appears to allow enough room for the ball joint spindle, its certainly possible a 3/4" would work as well. Seems like if you have a 27mm / (1-1/16") 3/4" drive socket you should be able to get something to fit over and press.
Well there you go. You can do it with some sockets provided you have these sockets already in your tool arsenal. I personally don't own SAE sockets that big. [MENTION=146513]APhelps[/MENTION], if you have to go out and purchase these large SAE sockets for the job, well, you're still going to be out some money but probably not as much as buying the OTC adapters. With press work, there's generally multiple ways to Macgyver it and get the job done.
The FSM always shows their SSTs (Special Service Tools) and then you have to figure out how to do it with the tools that are available on the market or that you can put together yourself because you're never going to lay your hands on the actual Toyota SST unless you want to drop some serious coin or you work at a dealership that has one. Toyota FSM aren't perfect but I have found them generally very helpful when researching jobs.
Well there you go. You can do it with some sockets provided you have these sockets already in your tool arsenal. I personally don't own SAE sockets that big. [MENTION=146513]APhelps[/MENTION], if you have to go out and purchase these large SAE sockets for the job, well, you're still going to be out some money but probably not as much as buying the OTC adapters. With press work, there's generally multiple ways to Macgyver it and get the job done.