ArthurKotb
Member
In the Thunderbird email app I use there is an option to filter messages to move or eliminate them. I have numerous filters to catch spammers but always send the emails to a spam folder to check before deleting. The tool lets you send them to a folder for one account, which is nice that you don't have to look in multiple account folders.
The problem is that no matter what you code the spammers still get through. The email addresses are either fake or have tons of different characters so you can't set up a filter. If you're not careful you can delete emails that you really want to allow in. I've been doing this for years and years. They get worse all the time. Over the 6 accounts I monitor I will get 50-90 spam emails a day, filtering out about 90%. I have filtered out entire countries, using their high level domain. They change their names, they put spaces in the context of the message, they use pictures of text with the link being the only thing that's real.
The big problem is that email is mostly plain text. Email programs allow spoofing so emails can show a different address than the real one. Headers are compromised so they aren't really reliable sources for filtering. There are many things wrong with email programs and no one is doing anything about it, probably because it isn't profitable.
The problem is that no matter what you code the spammers still get through. The email addresses are either fake or have tons of different characters so you can't set up a filter. If you're not careful you can delete emails that you really want to allow in. I've been doing this for years and years. They get worse all the time. Over the 6 accounts I monitor I will get 50-90 spam emails a day, filtering out about 90%. I have filtered out entire countries, using their high level domain. They change their names, they put spaces in the context of the message, they use pictures of text with the link being the only thing that's real.
The big problem is that email is mostly plain text. Email programs allow spoofing so emails can show a different address than the real one. Headers are compromised so they aren't really reliable sources for filtering. There are many things wrong with email programs and no one is doing anything about it, probably because it isn't profitable.