Your Thoughts on a 2010 Trail Deal

kestrel

New member
Greetings,

I am a newbie here and have really enjoyed the forum since signing up a few days ago. Currently I am wanting to eliminate my two current vehicles and purchase a 2010 Trail in Salsa Red with KDSS. Would it be possible to share your thoughts on a deal the local dealer (Sierra Vista, AZ 85635) offered me? They don't have the vehicle, but said they could divert it to their dealership. Also, they couldn't give me an estimated time of arrival. Here are the details:

2010 Trail Edition (MSRP with options $38464)
Salsa Red
KDSS
Mats

Trade #1:
2007 Dodge Charger SRT-8 Super Bee
all options except rear seat DVD
3900 miles
Excellent Condition

Trade #2:
2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XLS 4WD
77000 miles
Average Condition

The Deal:
4Runner: $36000
Trade #1: $27250
Trade #2: $4000
Tax (8.85%): $420.38
Doc Fee: $199 (this is non-negotiable in Arizona)
Plus registration

I offered them $35650 for the 4Runner and wanted a total of $32000 for my trades. They flat out told me "no" to that deal. What do you think? Is the deal they offered close or should I hold out for more?

Realistically I cannot privately sell the Super Bee for the tax-adjusted amount they're going to give me. I would have to sell it for $29661.63 to break even because of sales tax and that's not going to happen, or even come close to happening. So, trading in is the best way for me to sell the Super Bee and their trade in offer on that one is pretty good for the current market.

Thank you very much in advance. I look forward to your comments (and having a new 4Runner)! I'm already researching tires, by the way!
 
Register to hide this ad
Well - you are only $1100 from where you wanted to be. If these are the first negotiated numbers then go back and say you really want to make the deal come to gether and see if they will meet half way. So they come up with $550 more and then you do the same. :sniper:

Overall it does not sound that bad, but there are a number of unknown variables that would influence my decision in this situation - for example, are both cars paid for or is their a lien? No need to disclose this here in public forum, but something to consider as it's no fun getting burried in a car loan (for example: net sale price after trades and tax is 39,000 then add back in what you were owed above and beyond the trade value and you finance 46,000 for a 36,000 vehicle). :crybaby:

Bottom line - if you are comfortable with the numbers and the payment then go for it - if not, there will always be another 4Runner running around to snag up later and there are always other dealerships willing to sell you one. So don't think it's a MUST DO NOW situation. :roadkill:

Good luck, hope it turns out the best and keep us informed if the purchase goes through - we'll certainly need to see some pictures of the new ride!
:party:
 
Send emails negotiating the price of the Trail first to five other area dealers. Take the two or three best offers and then see how you can negotiate the trades. Should give you an idea of how reasonable the original dealer offer is.

The worst that can happen is you get a better deal. :trophy: Also realize you're apt to get a better deal on an in-stock truck.
 
Well - you are only $1100 from where you wanted to be. If these are the first negotiated numbers then go back and say you really want to make the deal come together and see if they will meet half way. So they come up with $550 more and then you do the same. :sniper:

Timothy, thank you for your reply. Sorry I didn't say so, but their current offer is their second offer. The first one was $500 higher than the current one (both made on Thursday). On the phone yesterday, the sales lady said she took my offer to the general manager and he told her to call me and tell me they wouldn't go any lower. I'm wondering if that's just a tactic or if they're serious??? I might run the meet halfway numbers by them and see what happens.

Overall it does not sound that bad, but there are a number of unknown variables that would influence my decision in this situation - for example, are both cars paid for or is their a lien? No need to disclose this here in public forum, but something to consider as it's no fun getting burried in a car loan (for example: net sale price after trades and tax is 39,000 then add back in what you were owed above and beyond the trade value and you finance 46,000 for a 36,000 vehicle). :crybaby:

No worries. I've got the title to both trade-ins and I'll be paying cash for the difference, so there isn't a loan situation to worry about.

Bottom line - if you are comfortable with the numbers and the payment then go for it - if not, there will always be another 4Runner running around to snag up later and there are always other dealerships willing to sell you one. So don't think it's a MUST DO NOW situation. :roadkill:

You're right on with your bottom line comment. At some point I have to figure out how much the hassle of trying to get a few hundred bucks more is worth. There are only three dealerships within a 150-mile radius of me and all are over 1 hour away. Also, the dealerships in Tucson and Phoenix (3+ hours away) are not nearly as nice to deal with as the one from Sierra Vista. So, there's that too.

Good luck, hope it turns out the best and keep us informed if the purchase goes through - we'll certainly need to see some pictures of the new ride!
:party:

I'll definitely keep everyone posted as this moves along and I'll definitely put up some pics when the beast comes in (both before and after new tires). :biggrin2:

Thank you very much for your comments. They were very helpful. :thanks:
 
One trade muddies up a deal, much less two. It's impossible to give you advice on the value of the trades, and, consequently, the end price of your deal.

$36,000 is not an exellent price for an msrp of $38,464.00-- especially for a 2010 (imo). Close to $35k would be a good deal - but they are obviously keeping back some new car profit to make the trade look better.

Really unfortunate that you cannot private-sell your other vehicles. In the end tho, as said it's your money, do what feels right for you.

To this... "They flat out told me "no" to that deal. What do you think? Is the deal they offered close or should I hold out for more?" .... I say of course they did, they always do, that's the game.

And to this.... "but said they could divert it to their dealership. Also, they couldn't give me an estimated time of arrival" ..... I call BS. If there is really a vehicle to DIVERT, that means it's in transit, and if it's in transit, they can give you SOME idea of delivery.

I'd not give them a penny until a delivery estimate +/- 15 days is on the sales order, with a loaner to be provided to fill the gap. I did this, and drove a used Corolla for 3 weeks.
 
You need to post more details on the trail, is it leather ? Nav ? major option etc..
enable for other trail owners to give you advise.
 
Send emails negotiating the price of the Trail first to five other area dealers. Take the two or three best offers and then see how you can negotiate the trades. Should give you an idea of how reasonable the original dealer offer is.

The worst that can happen is you get a better deal. :trophy: Also realize you're apt to get a better deal on an in-stock truck.

I just sent an email to a dealer in Phoenix that has the vehicle I'm looking for in stock. Of course, they're going to want to see the trade vehicles, but I really don't want to drive both vehicles 3 hours one way for them to low-ball me. So, we'll see what happens with the quote first.

Thanks! :cheers:
 
I just sent an email to a dealer in Phoenix that has the vehicle I'm looking for in stock. Of course, they're going to want to see the trade vehicles, but I really don't want to drive both vehicles 3 hours one way for them to low-ball me. So, we'll see what happens with the quote first.

Thanks! :cheers:

Could you trade the Dodge and private-sell the Mitsu?
 
You need to post more details on the trail, is it leather ? Nav ? major option etc..
enable for other trail owners to give you advise.

I did include the details in the original post. It's a Trail with KDSS and floor mats. All trails are equipped the same way (water-resistant seats, sunroof, sliding cargo deck, DJ radio, bluetooth, backup camera, alarm) and then have two major options, KDSS and Nav. They are unlike SR5s where lots of options can be checked off.
 
Could you trade the Dodge and private-sell the Mitsu?

Yes, I was thinking about that. Out of the two trades, the Mitsu is the one where I could make more money by selling it myself. I would only have to sell it for $4354 to break even. The KBB private party value (fair) is $5760. The reason I selected fair is because the previous owner (and Arizona) put a fair number of rock chips in the paint. Everything works perfectly on the vehicle.

The only issue is private selling a vehicle here in extreme southern Arizona. It's a pain in the rear with a million tire-kickers, low-ballers, and people who don't know how to show up for an appointment. How much of my time am I going to waste trying to sell it?
 
And to this.... "but said they could divert it to their dealership. Also, they couldn't give me an estimated time of arrival" ..... I call BS. If there is really a vehicle to DIVERT, that means it's in transit, and if it's in transit, they can give you SOME idea of delivery.

I'd not give them a penny until a delivery estimate +/- 15 days is on the sales order, with a loaner to be provided to fill the gap. I did this, and drove a used Corolla for 3 weeks.

When you drove the loaner, did you give them a trade-in ahead of time or was that just something you worked into the deal?
 
I did include the details in the original post. It's a Trail with KDSS and floor mats. All trails are equipped the same way (water-resistant seats, sunroof, sliding cargo deck, DJ radio, bluetooth, backup camera, alarm) and then have two major options, KDSS and Nav. They are unlike SR5s where lots of options can be checked off.

Sorry it is my bad, i didn't read your original post throughly. So if you get it for anything less than $35,500.00 i think that a fair deal.
 
When you drove the loaner, did you give them a trade-in ahead of time or was that just something you worked into the deal?

I didn't word that well .....

I had no trade (private-sold my PF). I'm a 'no-trade, cash sale' buyer (fortunately). This takes away all the opportunities for the dealer to muddy-up the sale.

My 4R was a "diverted" sale too. They waffled on the delivery date, but I had them put an estimated delivery date of 15 days on the order. After which time they would provide me with a loaner to drive until the new truck arrived. I didn't care what they gave me, as long as it was reliable wheels, so it was a decent Corolla off the used car lot. I drove it for 3 weeks.

Don't do anything verbal - get all details in writing on the sales agreement.

I'd be inclined to work on the dealer with the TE in stock, trade him the Dodge, and private-sell your Mitsu. You will never get the best deal on a new car as long as you have a trade in. A dealer needs to make at least $1 - $2k profit on each used car ... you can guess where that margin comes from.
 
I didn't word that well .....

I had no trade (private-sold my PF). I'm a 'no-trade, cash sale' buyer (fortunately). This takes away all the opportunities for the dealer to muddy-up the sale.

My 4R was a "diverted" sale too. They waffled on the delivery date, but I had them put an estimated delivery date of 15 days on the order. After which time they would provide me with a loaner to drive until the new truck arrived. I didn't care what they gave me, as long as it was reliable wheels, so it was a decent Corolla off the used car lot. I drove it for 3 weeks.

Don't do anything verbal - get all details in writing on the sales agreement.

I'd be inclined to work on the dealer with the TE in stock, trade him the Dodge, and private-sell your Mitsu. You will never get the best deal on a new car as long as you have a trade in. A dealer needs to make at least $1 - $2k profit on each used car ... you can guess where that margin comes from.

Thanks for the clarification. That sounds like a good plan. I'm in touch with the dealer that has the car in stock, but am already getting bad vibes from them (go figure, it's Phoenix). I also sent a revised offer to the dealer in Sierra Vista just trading in the Super Bee and me keeping the Mitsu and selling it privately. The revised offer I sent was $35600 (invoice) for the 4Runner and $27250 for the trade. That has them giving up $400 from where they were originally and me giving up $700 from my original offer.

I'll be curious to see where the Phoenix dealer ends up. They also have a higher doc fee ($349 vs. $199) and a higher sales tax rate (9.3% vs. 8.85%).

Thanks for all of the help so far! :cheers:
 
Given all the challenges you mentioned for selling private party it may be just easier to trade them in. When doing trades I always shoot for Kelly Blue Book value of Good for a trade and then look to purchase the vehicle within 100 of invoice. I did a quick check on the dodge and they appear to be offering the Good value--I did not check the other vehicle as it seems pretty reasonable. Overall it seems like your almost there, try the 50/50 angle on the difference and see what happens. I was 500 away when I purchased mine and they asked "where do you expect us to come up with 500 from?". I said take it from the hold-back pot or from the salesmans commission and make it up at the end of the month when they get the kickbacks from the manufacturer for meeting their goals. Needless to say the checked with general manager and magically found 500. You may need to make the trip though to show you are a serious buyer, sometimes you have to play the game. Just be prepared to leave if they still won't budge, but make them feel like crap for all the effort you made to make the trip.

Also keep in mind that you'll almost always get a better deal on a vehicle that's in stock vs a locate vehicle (one that's diverted from another dealer to your dealership).
 
If you are a member of USAA (Military or former military) you can check out their auto buying service. They can save you about $4K on a new T4R Trail Version. I know cause I checked it out myself.
 
Dealers will often swap vehicles. Have you asked the S.V. dealer to swap with the P. dealer?

We talked about that, but I'm a little concerned about them setting it all up and then it coming in with some scratches or something. Of course, that would be their problem and not mine.

The Phoenix dealer hasn't gotten back to me after I asked them to sell me the 4Runner at invoice and give me $27250 for my trade (which is $375 below KBB good trade-in value). The bee is in immaculate, like-new condition. I guess I just have to wait. I don't think I'm being unfair in offering $35600 for the new one and wanting $27250 for the trade. They're going to make about $2000 on the bee when they sell it and don't have to do any prep work on it.
 
If you are a member of USAA (Military or former military) you can check out their auto buying service. They can save you about $4K on a new T4R Trail Version. I know cause I checked it out myself.

I'm not a USAA member, but I am a AAA member. They have a car buying service and I'll give them a call next.

Thanks!
 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
278,315
Messages
3,554,102
Members
248,016
Latest member
Advally Service

Trending content

Back
Top